Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its on the site plenty but I just want to say after riding again at night its worth every cent.

In case someone is considering it, I have been on over a year and loving my dual 55w. I dont care if people like them or not or if someone can quote some stupid law or not. They are awesome and I would not drive at night without them. The high beam is unbelievable. The low was only a small improvement but still worth it. I used the separate extra wiring kit and added a separate relay and fuse for each run.

I just rode home from work at 930pm and it was another well lit wonderful ride.

Also I do use both high and low when on high.

Heres where I got the small ballast kit with the wiring kit.

I dont have pics but can answer a question or two if you need it.

https://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=61&pg=1

·
Registered
204 Posts
I hear ya. I put them on my ST2 and have had several people remark that they can finally see me in the daylight too. I posted here and got alot of flack from the safety/legal trolls though so be prepared.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear ya. I put them on my ST2 and have had several people remark that they can finally see me in the daylight too. I posted here and got alot of flack from the safety/legal trolls though so be prepared.
I understand, thanks.

If you are a legal troll, go ahead pucker up now and be prepared to pull a big curly black hair out of your teeth.

I can see and they can see me. Its self defense and I will carry the biggest stick I can.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Interesting. Yep, have read plenty on the site on merits and the caveats of HiD on motorcycles, specifically Ducatis. In context of your initial post and thread start, and the Lesco response, you should check the meaning of trolling... Good luck with your HiD set-up hope it works well for you.

·
Registered
204 Posts
lol....thanks Vinnie. I knew when I selected that word that someone would point out the "internet usage" of the term ..... however, it conveyed the impression I was going for I trust.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting. Yep, have read plenty on the site on merits and the caveats of HiD on motorcycles, specifically Ducatis. In context of your initial post and thread start, and the Lesco response, you should check the meaning of trolling... Good luck with your HiD set-up hope it works well for you.
What?
Trolling?
Thats what you just did.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This post was started by me for the purpose of helping people add HID to their ST's. PERIOD. Thats the topic and thats all I started it for. I dont care to discuss anything else.

If you want to talk because you have nothing else to do find another post, I am not a shrink either so I cant help you with your psychosis.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Thanks for the info

The site you listed has one the best deals for slim kits on the web. I'm debating on ordering the 35 or 55 watt kit since I have a DD headlight installed which has a smaller lens area. May be a chance of melting with the 55w kit. Remember, rules and regulations are guidelines for leaders. Some (including sheep) can't help but to do as they are told.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That DD kit would be awesome with HID's. I pulled my stock light and took it apart a couple of days ago because I figured I take a look at how everything is doing in there. Nothing looked like it was burned or got hot or melted. I had read too where people thought the 55w burned their lens but I didnt see anything to support that. I did notice my low beam beans had gotten dirty over time(like dust) so I cleaned it and my low beam got much better.

·
Registered
998 Posts
That DD kit would be awesome with HID's. I pulled my stock light and took it apart a couple of days ago because I figured I take a look at how everything is doing in there. Nothing looked like it was burned or got hot or melted. I had read too where people thought the 55w burned their lens but I didnt see anything to support that. I did notice my low beam beans had gotten dirty over time(like dust) so I cleaned it and my low beam got much better.
I have seen mention of removing some metal cover in the light assembly, in other posts on this. Did you remove anything, or find reason to after inspection?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have seen mention of removing some metal cover in the light assembly, in other posts on this. Did you remove anything, or find reason to after inspection?
I did remove it and it was a big improvement on the low beam. The problem is I think I still have to work on aiming it since I can see it is bothering some people. If I can aim it to work for me and the drivers Ill post here.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Mario .... I promise I'll try to stay away from controversial terms.....I agree with you about the HIDs. I installed them in the low beam, cleaned the lens, and removed the metal beam cutoff plate in there. The difference is amazing. I have had the HIDs installed now for about a month with no issues.......other than now people can see me in the daylight ;)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mario .... I promise I'll try to stay away from controversial terms.....I agree with you about the HIDs. I installed them in the low beam, cleaned the lens, and removed the metal beam cutoff plate in there. The difference is amazing. I have had the HIDs installed now for about a month with no issues.......other than now people can see me in the daylight ;)
Hey I appreciate the info. You said you removed the metal plate? No problem with it being too high? Did you readjust your beam?

I also removed it and it went from a POS low beam to it being almost as good as my high which I thought was incredible. I just probably should have readjusted it down some which I will do tonight.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yep I readjusted the light. I don't ride a night much but my goal was to be seen in the daylight. The OEM light is just dangerous in my opinion....especially with the metal beam cutoff in place. Even lowered, the low beam is more than adequate with the HID.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got to heartily disagree with removing the beam cutoff plate in the dip / low beam unit.
Riding like that you've now got two high beams, in daytime you'll wind up drivers you're following... at night it's just plain dangerous, you'll seriously dazzle oncoming traffic who won't be able to see where they and you are going which could have catastrophoc results.
Apart from that, I've had 35W / 4300K HID's on my 4S for almost 3 years, without doubt the best performance upgrade you'll get for the money, if you ride at night that is!

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I will also chime in to say it's a potential hazard. I often have to look away from oncoming bikes due to the intense light. So it's sheer stupidity to make a modification to be seen better, when in all actuality people have to avoid looking at you in order to preserve their own safety. Hopefully, no one inadvertently veers into your path.

·
Registered
204 Posts
You are entitled to disagree Jasper ...... I take offense to your "sheer stupidity" remark however. A little more respect for fellow posters would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
You are entitled to disagree Jasper ...... I take offense to your "sheer stupidity" remark however. A little more respect for fellow posters would be appreciated.
You are entitled to be offended. The fact is that it is a dumb idea to blind people when they are traveling a mere few feet in the opposite direction. Headlights need to pass DOT standards for a reason. A little more respect for fellow motorists is far more important than an internet discussion.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Apology accepted. Fact is, I have had no indication from fellow motorists that my lights are offensive (flashing lights etc). Also no indication from members of the local constabulary that they are offensive either. I HAVE had alot of feedback from fellow motorcyclists and motorists alike that "now I can see you" ..... enough said.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.