Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the wiring and mount for my GPS on my ST4s. Pretty similar to my Hyper mount.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/92-hypermotard/85305-hypermotard-gps-mount.html

First I took a rubber covered clamp I had laying around put heat shrink on it just to give it a cleaner look. drill the holes bigger and used a Gerbings premade female panel connector

The I loosened the left side upper fairing mount, and mounted the clamp in between the frame and bracket

I had bought a 1"ram mount ball with 6mm thread, and cut a 6mm bolt to make a stud for it.

And put it in place of the left tank cover bolt

I wired the rest of with a 1' Gerbing extention cable, and a Gerbing Y cable so I can still plug my heated liner in
Mounted the GPS to the ball

Then plugged it in

View from the cockpit

Ted
NEDOC.org

·
Registered
797 Posts
Interesting approach. Let us know how it holds up for you.

I might worry of road vibration, and shock of hitting bumps taking its toll on the (1) small bolt but lets see. Keep us informed on how you like it.

Wow! That's a low mileage ST!!

Enjoy......

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,072 Posts
Nice job and looks good. But when I travel that's where my tank bag sits.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
RAM makes a rail mount that you can remove the U-Bolt and use the ball and plate in place of the clamp on your clutch lever and Place your GPS off to the left. This setup works with a tail bag. I use a Garmin 276c (waterproof).

t_bare

·
Ducati Designs
1,124 Posts
Ted, that's a massive load for one small bolt. I worry that one day soon you're going to be watching your Zumo go "zumooooooo..."

pg
DD

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Don't want to have a go but I would not put mine there. Better on the handle bar bolts. Anyway...your bike

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Hi Ted:

One other thing about your outlet. With the male part plugged in, I see it lengthens quite a bit. Is it going to hit the wire/plug on full left lock steering? One cure would to be to pivot your mounting band upward.

Interesting also, that I used the same area on my ST2 to put an aluminum plate, and had 2 switches and a huge LED mounted thru the plate. I personally don't like cutting or drilling bodywork to make a place for a switch or light...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I used the same mount on Hypermortard for 3 years/ 20,000 miles. And that stud mounts into the plastic tank. There should be no problem with it.
The plug mount doesn't hit the steering or forks in anyway .

Ted

·
Registered
44 Posts
Here's my RAM mounts I installed a few nights ago...

Had a couple of these left over from a previous bike..

Replaced the upper "clip-on" mounting bolts with longer ones...I wasn't able to find M6 stainless socket bolts at my local hardware store, so I had to use hex head bolts. Put a couple of rubber washers under the mounts to reduce vibration and scratching of the powder-coating. I can power the accessories of the 12v lighter socket I installed or from theplug-in for my heated gear...

Garmin Nuvi mount and universal mount for phone...

Mounts with RAM 3" arms...

·
Registered
35 Posts
There is an interesting mount on eBay that uses half the bolts tor the fuel fill cap

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
The beauty of the Zumo is that it bluetooths' to a mobile and you can take/make calls directly from the screen if you have a decent intercom connected spo no need to physically access your phone on the move.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
The only 'issue' I would have with the mounting on the tank (apart from the tank-bag and strength of mount problems) is that 'line-of-sight' is not very good and it would be tempting , if not essential , to take your eyes off the road ahead for too long mounted where it is.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I used a tank bag with a road map way before GPS. Line of sight is not a problem, but if it were you pointed out the solution in your previous post. bluetooth. I use Sony bluetooth ear buds most of the time. You don't have to look down if an english girl is whispering directions in your ear:)

Ted

·
Registered
68 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Here is how I did mine. It is clear of the gauges, lights, and tank bag

t_bare

1 - 17 of 17 Posts