Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on which brake pads to go for on a 2002 non ABS version? I have heard to avoid sintered pads as these are damaging to the discs?

John

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Some sintered pads are worse than others.

In the Ferodo line-up, the
FERODO ST Front Sintered Brake Pads: Brembo Dual Pin are much easier on the rotors than the FERODO XRAC Sintered Front Brake Pads (Trackday/Race): Brembo Dual Pin for example.

The FERODO PLATINUM Front Organic Brake Pads: Brembo Dual Pin is very easy on the rotors but does not have the brake performance of the sintered pads.

Here is a great chart comparing the pads:
Brake Pad Comparison
http://motowheels.com/attachment/33093-.pdf

-M

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
There was a recent thread on this so a seach of 'brake pads' should bring it up.
My favorite Carbon Lorraine SBK's but can be difficult to obtain.

·
Mr Leakered
8,819 Posts
+1

The Carbone Lorraines that I scored off of eBay have been great. Just yesterday, the proved themselves again. An SUV was blocking my view of the road ahead and the occupant (could not be called the driver) was obviously not paying attention as there must have been a great status update from JLo on Facebook. Their brakes came on. I was able to snap on the brakes and come to a nice, controlled stop.

They have also been fun to play/practice with. The feel as seemed to stay quite consistent when warm or cold.

Have a good one.

·
2,650 Posts
Tony - Thats exactly my opinion of them , They are so much better that I am tempted to ditch my original Galfer pads early now the warranty has expired on the discs they came with.

·
Premium Member
5,636 Posts
I started using Ferodo Platinum pads last season when I installed a new set of rotors. I like them except for the dust (which isn’t really that bad). They have a low initial bite with very progressive, powerful and predictable stopping power that doesn't seem to fade. The low initial bite also seems to translate in to low brake drag. The front spins almost as easy when on the stand as the full floater converted rotors and OEM pads I had prior to my current set up. Not a track-day guy, so I don't know how they would hold up there. I’m also am a "4 fingers on the lever" guy for panic-stops and these pads work well for me. Even at a lose-your-license back road pace; I’m not a real heavy brake user. I try to manage my speed with the throttle more than the brakes for the most part and the low initial bite helps with a two fingered “speed scrub” if needed. I really dislike pads like the EBC HH (have a very low mileage set if you want them) that seem to want to pop your eyes out of the sockets if you even think about putting a finger near the lever… Some may like that, and it may work for track speeds, but not my deal.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Gearbox and Tonered....

I have just ordered the last pair of Carbone Lorraine XKB5 pads (Part No 2538XBK5) from ebay uk on your recommendations. Had a new set of tyres fitted at the weekend and they recommended getting some new front pads, so this thread came just at the right time!
They were twice the price of all the others so im expecting good things!
Tom

·
Premium Member
5,636 Posts
Tom
And if they're not, maybe Gearbox and Tonered can send you a refund:D!

·
Mr Leakered
8,819 Posts
Gearbox and Tonered....

I have just ordered the last pair of Carbone Lorraine XKB5 pads (Part No 2538XBK5) from ebay uk on your recommendations. Had a new set of tyres fitted at the weekend and they recommended getting some new front pads, so this thread came just at the right time!
Tom
Just a note, I believe the ones I snagged were the A3 material. I can verify the part number later. Fishmonger asked a while ago and it's ringing a bell. The deal I got was disgustingly good, but . . .

Really though, looking at the graph here:
http://www.cl-brakes.com/en/products/bikes/range/
The bite profile for all by the organic pads seems similar.

And if they're not, maybe Gearbox and Tonered can send you a refund:D!
I'll cover that bet. :abduct:

Have a good one.

·
Registered
103 Posts
There was a recent thread on this so a seach of 'brake pads' should bring it up.
My favorite Carbon Lorraine SBK's but can be difficult to obtain.
I've noticed that these aren't easy to find. Found some at Bayside performance for $90 for front calipers both sides shipped in US.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I managed to find a set of the Carbone Lorriane SBK's on ebay! Then I noticed a youtube video of a set of them falling apart on the track! Oh well I wont be going that fast.

John

·
2,650 Posts
John , Dont forget to let us know how you get on once they are bedded-in , say a couple hundred miles.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Will do! I was talking to a friend of mine today who races a 250 GP bike and he hates them as they don't heat up quick enough? I guess it's down to personal taste.

John

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Done about 80 miles on them so far with a couple of emergency stops!! Bloody Sunday drivers!! Any verdict is still out, it was fitted with brembo pads which I really liked. Will let you know how they go once bedded in abit more.

John

·
Registered
434 Posts
Holy resurrection Batman!

After perusing a few threads on this forum, I picked up the Carbone Loraine XBK5 front brake pads and I'm very happy with them. I scrubbed and cleaned my rotor and bedded them in carefully. The have much better initial bite and better feel than the Ferodo Platinums they replaced. Only about 350 miles so far, but I have not been shy with the binders. Hard braking to full stop and trail braking feels great.

FWIW, I never could get the Ferodo Platinum pads to work well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts