Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have an accurate measurement for mounted length of the ST4s fork? The factory manual give a figure from the top of the lower triple to the top cap but this doesnt allow for minute differences in fork length between the L and R legs. I recall a post here with a figure that was measured from the bottom of the fork to the top of the lower triple. Measuring this way should account for differences in leg length by having the difference show up above the top triple, not at the axle as the factory method would seem to. Does anybody know this measurement or recall the post? Thanks

·
Registered
647 Posts
There shouldn't any difference in length between the L and R fork legs. Any competent manufacturer will be machining to tolerances of a few hundredths of a millimetre. I've always fitted mine as per the factory manual with no problems.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Derek is right. The left and right forks are made from the same part number upper. They are identical in length. There is no measurable difference due to manufacturing tolerances.

If were being picky then the top and botton yokes (triple clamps in American) will probably not be the same thickness on the right and left sides (introducing a further error in the setup), but I wouldn't expect to be able to measure the difference myself.

·
Registered
160 Posts
[The factory manual give a figure from the top of the lower triple to the top cap but this doesnt allow for minute differences in fork length between the L and R legs. I recall a post here with a figure that was measured from the bottom of the fork to the top of the lower triple. .... Does anybody know this measurement or recall the post? Thanks[/QUOTE]

The spec is 195.5 mm +/- 1mm - this means that the total difference between the tow legs could be as much as 2mm. You should be able to set the legs per the manual and be completely happy with the fork action (assuming all else is in good order)

Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts