Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

ST4S Clutch stack and Mod questions

2138 14
Over the 16.5 years of ownership I must have tried the quiet clutch mod 4 times with no success. Clutch does not operate. It does not help that;

• Each poster has a different method
• The final process is to remove the last two plates (drive or friction??)
• Ducati Workshop shows 10 drive plates, parts diagram show 6 and I have 9
• Ducati workshop revers to A- drive plates and B - drive plates !

What I did was two old plates in remove last two drive plates…not even close !!
I think I am going to go ahead and have a noisy clutch, but I thought there could be some ware savings

I am not having a good day ! I just managed to sign back in after being frozen out of this account for 2/3 months. I finally got back in by ignoring the reset and going straight to edit profile.
I am losing my patients in general with the Internet so may just bail…rant over
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Premium Member
5,601 Posts
I've done this two ways. First was to remove one of the two steels that are at the inner-most position of the clutch pack. Worked on the ST4s, but eventually I was having problems related to the pack being below stack height spec. When you think about what this mod does, you realize that maybe you should just leave the the clutch pack as it is and just add in the old friction. The old friction fits OVER the hub and gets jammed into the bottom of the basket. It should not require you to adjust stack height. The way I have it now, on both bikes, is the full normally constructed clutch at the proper stack height installed with the one old friction jammed in to the bottom of the basket. No problems at all. Works completely normal, but much less noise at idle with the clutch lever out, and therefore pretty much zero basket and finger wear.

This is with OEM (aluminum friction plate) clutch and OEM newer aluminum basket. Very important. There is no telling how aftermarket baskets will effect the spacing. They might have the cut between the fingers deeper or more shallow compared to OEM and that WILL effect the operation of this mod.

I spent a day or so going back and forth with a guy a few years ago who was never able to get it to work. I think we figured out why. His clutch basket was not OEM and the space between the fingers was cut square. This will only work if the basket you're using has a rounded cut between the fingers like OEM. If it's a squared cut, the old friction plate you stuff in there will have nothing for its tabs to be jammed against in order to keep the rest of the pack from hammering back and forth at idle.

If the cut between the fingers of your aftermarket basket is deeper than OEM, adding two old frictions might work. If it's more shallow, you may not get this to work well at all.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.