Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a chain/sprocket swap (and moving to a 14t front) and I need thechain length. I called my dealer and he said 100. I see it listed on this forum at 102. Obviously, that's not including the new front sprocket but I don't think one tooth on the front is enough to change anything.

Can anyone positively ID the chain length for me? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
All of the ST models throughout the years from 1998 to 2008 have been 102 links from the factory. Grab any owner's manual from Ducati.com. It's in there towards the back.

And since dropping 1 tooth in the front is such a small change, 102 will be perfect. Adding 3 to the rear, would require and extra 2 links.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Take Care !

There are errors in the Manuals with tooth sizes. Standatd is 102 (i think) on an ST4S and does not need to be changed to run a 14 toother. BUT check this and have a search. EG Shazaam had it at 102 standard

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm doing a chain/sprocket swap (and moving to a 14t front) and I need thechain length. I called my dealer and he said 100. I see it listed on this forum at 102. Obviously, that's not including the new front sprocket but I don't think one tooth on the front is enough to change anything.

Can anyone positively ID the chain length for me? Thanks.
I'm riding with the standard 102 link chain and a 14T sprocket. Length is just fine that way. Nevertheless, if exchanging the chain I would recommend to change to 15/42 with 104 links. With the smaller front sprocket the chain guide will show more wear due to the smaller radius of the sprocket.
At least that's what I'll be doing when exchanging my chain.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm riding with the standard 102 link chain and a 14T sprocket. Length is just fine that way. Nevertheless, if exchanging the chain I would recommend to change to 15/42 with 104 links. With the smaller front sprocket the chain guide will show more wear due to the smaller radius of the sprocket.
At least that's what I'll be doing when exchanging my chain.
Dirk -
Use a 102 link chain for a 15/42 sprocket setup. That's the standard length as from the factory. My 2005 ST3 had 15/42 with a 102 link chain when new. You only need a 104 link chain if you change to a 43 tooth or larger rear when combined with a 15 tooth front.
Bill W.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I had to measure mine, an ST4s MY06, and I found it to be 100. I put a 14t front sprocket just to check the bike's behaviour, and it fit fine. Then I got back to the 15t sprocket. I suggest your measure yours, since there are too many differences in specs.

Ride safe

·
Registered
523 Posts
Stelbo -
Didn't the ST4 come with the 15/38 sprockets? 100 links would probably work for that setup from reading past posts. But you're right...the best thing to do is measure what you have first before changing anything.
Bill W.

·
Still needs a life.
12,598 Posts
Stelbo -
Didn't the ST4 come with the 15/38 sprockets? 100 links would probably work for that setup from reading past posts. But you're right...the best thing to do is measure what you have first before changing anything.
Bill W.
The ST4s came with 15/38 sprockets. I do not know what sprockets the ST4 came with.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Stelbo -
Bill W.
Yes ducsbill , the 4s came with standard 15/38. The 14t sprocket made her very jumpy for my taste, I was getting scared to open full throttle in tight - medium corners on second or third gear.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I'm running a 14/41 combination with a 100 link chain on my ST2. This also allows shortening the wheelbase by 1/2" to 3/4".

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
ST4 machines came from factory with 15/43.

I just bought a ST4S (with OEM 38T rear), and I noticed that with the Al. swingarm, the adjustment of the axle does seem to be very close towards the front extreme of the adj. slot. So if you go from 38 rear to 42 rear, one may need to add more links...

·
Still needs a life.
12,598 Posts
So if you go from 38 rear to 42 rear, one may need to add more links...
That is correct. I always recommend a 15/42 or 15/43 sprocket combo for the ST4s. There have been reports that a 14T front sprocket will damage the aluminum swingarm of the ST4s.

·
Registered
38 Posts
That is correct. I always recommend a 15/42 or 15/43 sprocket combo for the ST4s. There have been reports that a 14T front sprocket will damage the aluminum swingarm of the ST4s.
That might be right IF the chain guide shows too much wear. I changed to 14T about 7k miles ago and nothing happened into that direction. Nevertheless on the long term the swing arm might get damaged due to a worn chain guid. Reason the change to 15/42 when exchanging the chain.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Well, it looks like the Owner's Manual LIES. I counted my links yesterday, an it's at 100 for the ST4S (manual claims 102). Kinda put a damper on my 42t rear that I was going to install last weekend... Now I know I'll need to go to at least 102. Maybe even 104. Since going from 38t to 42t is a difference of 4, doesn't it make more sense to add 4 links?

The chain adjustment is already way far forward. I don't know if a 102 link chain will be enough...it almost seems that it might be too short...I think 104 might put me in the center of the adj. range.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Well, it looks like the Owner's Manual LIES. I counted my links yesterday, an it's at 100 for the ST4S (manual claims 102). Kinda put a damper on my 42t rear that I was going to install last weekend... Now I know I'll need to go to at least 102. Maybe even 104. Since going from 38t to 42t is a difference of 4, doesn't it make more sense to add 4 links?

The chain adjustment is already way far forward. I don't know if a 102 link chain will be enough...it almost seems that it might be too short...I think 104 might put me in the center of the adj. range.
True. The ST4s came with 100 links (the manual is wrong).

I run one bike with 15/38 and 100 links and the other is 15/42 and 102 links. I do not recommend a longer chain than this because it reduces the EFFECTIVE rate of the shock absorber by legthening the swingarm. If you have changed the spring to a higher rate already, you MAY want to experiment with a longer chain but I prefer to keep the swingarm as short as possible.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I didn't even think about affecting the perf. of the shock! Point well taken, Thanks!
Also, I don't know what I was thinking about...the additional 4 teeth...there's only 2 additional teeth at the rear of the sprocket (and 2 add'l at the front!). For some reason I was thinking "4 more teeth, need 4 more links..."

So 102 it will be, just like the ST2 was with the 42T rear.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts