Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I must say this before you read on. I could care less if my bike draws attention. While it's a damn good-looking bike, it only matters that it is for ME.

So I'm at the BMWMOA rally in Johnson City, TN this weekend. Put on a little over 1K miles in-all. A good trip.
But what I thought was a bit odd is all of the positive attention that the '03 ST4s had gotten. All kinds of people came up and wanted to chat. Either about the bike or the Ducati they USED to have. Or how the wanted one. One of my camping neighbors was almost sick because he used to have an ST4 and sold it. Missed it terribly. Warned me to never sell the ST4s.

In a sea of bikes...

Just thought I'd mention.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I had my ST4S listed here recently and it did not sell. I just took it for a spin yesterday and was reminded of how awesome this bike is. I still have too many bikes and need to get rid of one. What a dilemma!

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I've regretted so many parting of past vehicles. Honda hawk, audi S4, 74' cj5.... They come, they go, they are always remembered...

·
7,733 Posts
Now I must say this before you read on. I could care less if my bike draws attention. While it's a damn good-looking bike, it only matters that it is for ME.

So I'm at the BMWMOA rally in Johnson City, TN this weekend. Put on a little over 1K miles in-all. A good trip.
But what I thought was a bit odd is all of the positive attention that the '03 ST4s had gotten. All kinds of people came up and wanted to chat. Either about the bike or the Ducati they USED to have. Or how the wanted one. One of my camping neighbors was almost sick because he used to have an ST4 and sold it. Missed it terribly. Warned me to never sell the ST4s.

In a sea of bikes...

Just thought I'd mention.
It's not important, but cool nonetheless, when your bike gets admired. It's better than not getting "positive" attention. That you were told by BMW riders not to sell your Ducati, is soooo rewarding to hear, as the two brand are like fire and ice. We've got the "fire." IMO. :)

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<snip>That you were told by BMW riders not to sell your Ducati, is soooo rewarding to hear, as the two brand are like fire and ice. <snip>
You think? I know more more BMW riders than riders of other brands. And it seems to me that BMW owners are more in the know about the Ducati than the typical H-D or UJM crowd. And more BMW owners seem to appreciate our beloved marque. In fact those owners are more likely to have owned a Duc.

Either that or the dirty little beggars are talking behind my back.:rolleyes:

But (and I just had this dicussion this weekend), each brand 'loyalist' has all elements of society.
Enthusiast
technical
casual rider
bad rider
hard-ass
racer
(other) brand-basher
good rider
etc.

·
7,733 Posts
Either that or the dirty little beggars are talking behind my back.:rolleyes:...
;)

What is the nexxus of propeller head pride if not accumulated mileage? You know the first thing many if not most of them do when admiring a bike is to check the odometer, right? What is Ducati's reputation in that department? So, for any beemerphile to express remorse for parting ways with a "high maintenance, unreliable" bike, rather than carry on on about how much better BMWs are, as we've seen in this forum, seems to me to say how much passion our bikes can inspire, even with the "square head" crowd, and that's cool. :)

I own a BMW by the way, and have been riding it this summer as the Ducati awaits servicing. I serviced the BMW at great expense last year, so it was ready to go. Keeping in mind it's 22 years old, I still enjoy riding it, in fact, I found myself chasing down a R1 the other day, just for fun. Chase, yes, catch, not so much. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
st4s

I had an st4s in the matte grey and sold it and bought a BMW K1200rs. I am now back to a 2003 yellow st4s with 1100 miles as of 8-7-2009. I LOVE it!!!
My 05 Yamaha Royal Star tour deluxe is the cruiser and the Duc is for adrenaline
:)

·
Registered
688 Posts
Yesterday I talked with a guy who rode his BMW around the world a few years back. He wrote a book called "Lucille and the XXX Road." I told him about the rumors of a new Ducati adventure bike. He told me Lucille, his GS1150 was awfully heavy for some of the rough roads in Siberia. He has a KLR 650 now. Interesting guy. He said the new Ducati sounded interesting. Lucille is now in the Kansas Motorcycle Museum in Markett, KS.
The book is a fun read.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts