Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was "playing" with the ST4S, under the tank, had the filter out, velocity stacks removed (they are pretty, huh?), the two rear mounting posts removed, but I could not find a way to get the front mount released !!!

Note that I was messing around in there with all the body panels on...does any ST4S owner know if the sides have to come off to do some magic to the front mounting post? I think there's a post up there--there's a similar lump inside the box's base, similar to the lumps where the 2 rear posts bolt into (I assume there's a threaded metal insert inside these lumps).

·
Registered
204 Posts
There's a third nut and bolt right at the front of the airbox.You have to drop the radiator to access it.
You really only want to this this once before modifying the front attaching point to be simply a locating pin. I filed the end of the bolt to a smooth rounded end.
Now I can undo the 2 fastenings at the rear of the box and tilt/lift the lot out (after removing the velocity stacks....they are nice eh)

The 2 rear bolts plus the stacks provide ample fastening.

Colin 02 ST4S

·
Registered
142 Posts
There's a third nut and bolt right at the front of the airbox.You have to drop the radiator to access it.
You really only want to this this once before modifying the front attaching point to be simply a locating pin. I filed the end of the bolt to a smooth rounded end.
Now I can undo the 2 fastenings at the rear of the box and tilt/lift the lot out (after removing the velocity stacks....they are nice eh)

The 2 rear bolts plus the stacks provide ample fastening.

Colin 02 ST4S
that actually a good idea!! what i did was jusy got a 2" long bolt that was half threaded and bottomed a nut on it. i still had about 3/4" of clearance to the radiator.

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
Interesting ideas. That bolt is a real pain to get to. I just went through this myself doing the 24K maintenance. Easy to get it off because I knew it was there and pulled the radiator first, but going back on is always hard. You need the air box off for the TB sync and air bleed adjust, so you're fighting for clearance without dinging the radiator going back together. I take a sheet of card stock and slip it behind the radiator to add a little protection for the rad. After contorting myself in such a way as to be able to get a few threads caught by hand, I work in an 8MM 1/4" drive socket on a swivel with a medium extension. That gives me enough room to get my 1/4" drive ratchet on there to tighten it. After reading the other two solutions, that sounds crazy! Works though. Oh, and yes, you need to pull all the plastic to get to this bolt. I'm thinking of doing what ColinF did. It would be nice to be able to get the thing out of the way in between major service without yanking all the body work.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Howdy again: ColinF- I admire your solution. When I dig my hands in on that area, I'll be sure to create a shortcut similar to yours.

Not that I find "the need" to dig in there on the ST4s. I just need to plug in the PowerCommander that I purchased. Note also that in the 9 years of owning my ST2, it ran so well, that I NEVER had the need to remove the airbox (enoughroom in that area to do the valve service!) ST4S runs great, but I know it can be tweaked for better!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts