Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed on the Ducati site for 2006 bikes that ST4 series and ST2 is no longer listed. Just the ST3 now. Why the change all of a sudden?? Anybody with news I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
1upDuc said:
I noticed on the Ducati site for 2006 bikes that ST4 series and ST2 is no longer listed. Just the ST3 now. Why the change all of a sudden?? Anybody with news I would appreciate it.
Yes, you are correct....they are no longer available in us. 05 is the last year available. I just bought an new black 05 st4s for that very same reason!!.

st3 is the only series available now.

allen

·
Super Moderator
8,249 Posts
Psssssssssssssssssssssssssssssst
Have you seen that the Monster S4R was replaced by the Testastretta powered S4RS?
They then ended sales of the desmoquattro S4R.

Now they have ended sales of the desmoquattro ST4s.
What does logic suggest? :D

//amullo
"Eavesdropper"

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
The termination of the ST4s has been the topic of discussion on the various ST forums for the past few months. I have read several theories as to why Ducati did this, but the bottom line is that if you want one, buy now. Ducati Seattle had a black 05 on the showroom floor when I was down there last week.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bill_Anderson said:
The termination of the ST4s has been the topic of discussion on the various ST forums for the past few months. I have read several theories as to why Ducati did this,
Maybe they will make a newer version of the ST4s with GPS/Heated Options/ and a couple of extras goodies. But maybe I am getting ahead of myself.
It would be nice to have all the extras that we have mentioned on the board to be on the ST4s. I am constantly seeing posts on how to add something or tweak an existing part on the ST4s.

I took mine in last night to Ducati Richmond (MotoEuropa) to get a power commander/k&n Airfilter installed along with standard 6,000 mile service. Cant wait to crack the throttle..

·
Registered
54 Posts
as a recent purchaser of an ST3s

Both were available to purchase when I was testing STs (05 ST4s; 06 ST3s).

As it was explained, the ST4s desmoquatro is the 996 engine plugged into the ST configuration. It is a bit twitchy below 4k rpm (so they said)

The desmotre is a refinement with barely a noticable reduction in hp. I rode them both, and felt the tre was smoother.

And I am used to 'twitchy twins', with my Beemer.

Cannot really vouch for this tho, as I am new to the breed, and loving it!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Gotta Love the st4s, now every one who has to buy a st3 will want a st4s.

just put a power commander, open air box, new front suspension.... and its all good!!!!

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
nrsanders said:
As it was explained, the ST4s desmoquatro is the 996 engine plugged into the ST configuration. It is a bit twitchy below 4k rpm (so they said)
My 02-ST4s started life that way, then after about 10,000 miles smoothed out in the 3,000-4,000 rpm range. It never did like life below 3,000 rpm.

My advice to anyone owning an ST4s is to go with the 15/42T sprocket combination, which keeps you in the 4,000-6,000 rpm band throughout the (US) legal speed range.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
1upDuc said:
[Maybe they will make a newer version of the ST4s with GPS/Heated Options/ and a couple of extras goodies.
Sorry, not for a few years yet! Ducati's ST range will consist of the ST3 and ST3s for the next few years. There is a rumour that Ducati are working on long term plans for a completely redesigned ST bike. Something that will "blow away the competition"! Yes, I know that's a very vague statement, but it does come from a Ducati insider.

I'm hoping I can stretch my ST4s out for another 3 years at least. Then maybe there will be a little more choice in the Ducati lineup. Having said that, if I had to get another ST tomorrow, I wouldn't have any hesitation picking up an ST3s.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Althought there is no longer an ST4s, the most significant difference IMO was the suspension. Now that there is an ST3s with all the 4s goodies I wouldn't hesitate to get an ST3s. The power in most circumstances is basically the same and maintenace is perhaps a bit less. If you look at the published power curves it's not until after 8K RPM that the 996 engine comes into it's own. In terms of both power and torque they are almost identical up to that point and on the street it would not be an issue. Of course I have an ST4s so it's easy to say that ;) I'll be keeping my 4s until the next rumored killer ST arrives.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
+1

kentamcolin said:
Althought there is no longer an ST4s, the most significant difference IMO was the suspension. Now that there is an ST3s with all the 4s goodies I wouldn't hesitate to get an ST3s. The power in most circumstances is basically the same and maintenace is perhaps a bit less. If you look at the published power curves it's not until after 8K RPM that the 996 engine comes into it's own. In terms of both power and torque they are almost identical up to that point and on the street it would not be an issue. Of course I have an ST4s so it's easy to say that ;) I'll be keeping my 4s until the next rumored killer ST arrives.

·
Registered
37 Posts
nrsanders said:
The desmotre is a refinement with barely a noticable reduction in hp. I rode them both, and felt the tre was smoother.
I think you felt the ST3 to be smoother because of the vast difference in the gearing. ST4S having such a ridiculously tall gearing takes more acceleration time to get out of the lugging low rpm.
Having a 15/42 gearing is a night and day difference in improvement. It brings the 996 engine into the smooth area.
They should of made that gearing standard in the beginning.
Most ST4S owners are pleased with the updated gearing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That is probably it. Again, I am brand new to the Ducati breed, so I have no expertise in this area. I loved riding both the ST3s and ST4s! What surprises me is that compared to my R1100RSL, the ST3s is not only lighter and faster, but feels much more planted and stable. Certainly smoother. Even at highway speeds, where the Bimmers are known to put in many a mile, the Ducati feels more stable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts