Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I wonder if anyone else has had this issue, my headlight is intermittent! If I hit the headlamp it comes on and will stay on for a whole ride, however if I switch it off for about 10 seconds it will stay off until I hit the headlight again. I have disconnected the cables and cleaned the terminals. I have even 're-crimped the earth terminal but it is still the same? I did think main earth however looking at the diagram it's the same earth for the side light and the main beam. I have also cleaned the mating surface of the headlight where the bulb touches!!

Any ideas??

John

·
Ducati Designs
1,125 Posts
A couple of things. You can isolate it a bit by testing the flash-to-pass trigger; does that always work? Its a separate circuit from the headlight itself. If it works when you pull the pass trigger, then its is most likely the headlight relay that is failing. It's down on the left side of the headlight. You might also take a look at the big connector in the same area. It joins the front and rear half of the harness. They can get wet inside the back-shell and call all manner of oddness. Pull it apart and clean/inspect/lube. The hi/lo switches have been known to fail as well, and some contact cleaner inside the switch might help. Only good can come of this.

Good luck!

pg
DD

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The pass trigger and main beam all work? I did test those as they are on the same earth? I did wonder if there was a relay for that light? I will check the circuit diagram. Next time i play with it I will put a multi meter on and check if there is a voltage when on via a different earth.

John

1 - 3 of 3 Posts