Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into buying my first Duck an 2000 ST4 anybody have an opinion on this model/bike/year. The dealer is listing it @ $6599.00 and Kellys Blue Book say $5795.00 I emailed the dealer to ask why this was. Opinions anybody????

thanks
Dan

·
Registered
19 Posts
Unless it's got very low miles and/or a lot of extras, that seems high to me for a plain ST4 (which a 2000 model would be). But then I haven't been shopping and the market could have changed. I know the ST2 is worth considerably less.

If you're new to the brand, check out the FAQ -- lots of good info.http://www.perryr.com/DucatiSTFAQ.html

·
Ducati Designs
1,123 Posts
Great bike, last year before they downgraded the suspension (in preparation for the ST4S release). Great motor, chassis, brakes. Unless it has super low miles and/or some very valuable add-ons, that's too much loot. More like low fives would seem right. Be sure it comes with the luggage.

Good hunting!

pg
DD

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I have a 99 ST4 with 43000 miles. Best bike I have ever owned. Does everything well, 2 up, commuting, twisties, etc. No major problems, but have replaced 2 opening rockers due to flaking which can be a common problem.

Mike

·
Banned
5,879 Posts
I'm with Ducati Mike, same amount of miles too.
I wouldn't take that for mine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Looking into buying my first Duck an 2000 ST4 anybody have an opinion on this model/bike/year. The dealer is listing it @ $6599.00 and Kellys Blue Book say $5795.00 I emailed the dealer to ask why this was. Opinions anybody????

thanks
Dan
Dan, I have a '99 St4. It's a terrific bike. That price is way out of line imho. Even super clean with mods and low miles i think you are looking at 5k, maybe 5.5k max for an ST4. For people who know the bike and appreciate all it has to offer, there's a lot of value for the money, but very, very few people are shopping for these bikes.

·
Registered
31 Posts
New to the forum. First post. Love having something dedicated to just the sport touring crowd.

Price may be high, but more important, what is the mileage, and what is the maintenance record. If all the service work has been done, price is not as big a factor, as the service work is costly. Also, what kind of upgrades does the bike have. I bought my 2204 ST4s two years ago, price was kind of high, but had nice upgrades and service was up to date. Tires, chain, sprockets, stock or aftermarket pipe. All these goodies can cost a lot, so if it has some of these nice things, price might not look so bad. I love my bike and what was done to it, don't regret one bit that I paid a premium for it.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I would like to comment on the price. My experience has been that it is a mistake to pay a premium for something, especially during a tough economy. I can't think of a better time for a buyer than right now. When I say premium I mean retail or above.
I was looking at buying a Ford Edge about 6 months ago and they wouldn't budge on the sticker price. I walked. I saw the same car advertised this month for 5k less. Sure glad I walked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
emailed

Well I emailed and pm'ed the dealer/owner and haven't heard back form him. The bike has been listed with them for at least 6 mons. I wonder if it on consignment ??? Also found an ST3 2005 which seems to have a better price point.. Thanks for all the info and feedback

Dan

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I'll chim in with the others, $6600 is too much for a 9 year old bike. What kind of waranty did he offer?

For that kind of money, you could find something newer like an ST3 with low mileage, if that's what moves you, but that would be a private sale. Check out criagslist for pricing similar models in different parts on the country.

·
Mr Leakered
8,804 Posts
I purchased a 2001 ST4 with 20,800mi with luggage and boats loads of extras (cycle cat clipons, risers, and rearsets, an extra touring shield, leather corbin and stock seats, DP saddle bag liners, plus a bag full of spare parts) from a great person just outside of Portland last July. It was dealer maintained with receipts. Pristine rockers when I looked at 24k. I paid $5,500 plus WA taxes to register.

In this market, that price is way out of the ball park, but then a local dealer has been sitting on a yellow 2000 ST4 with 18,000mi which has been down more than once and showing it. I looked at that bike before going down to Portland. They still have it listed at $6k.

Have a good one,

tony

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The dealer just told me that the price is high because of the follow

$1100 12000 mile service
heli risers
heat grips

The dealers says his hands are tied because the bike is on consignment and the owner won't budge oh well guess he won't sell it

Dan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts