Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Mr Leakered
8,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for someone local that might want to share their VDST software and Gastester.

I have my TPS and throttle balance set, but I have a low throttle cough that is getting annoying. I can only attribute this to the unknown CO setting.

I'd be happy to kick in some rental dollars, beers, or any such combination.

Please let me know.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I'm looking for someone local that might want to share their VDST software and Gastester.

I have my TPS and throttle balance set, but I have a low throttle cough that is getting annoying. I can only attribute this to the unknown CO setting.

I'd be happy to kick in some rental dollars, beers, or any such combination.

Please let me know.

Have a good one.
there's a thread going on right now at desmonorthwest discussing this very topic.

·
Mr Leakered
8,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
there's a thread going on right now at desmonorthwest discussing this very topic.
Thanks!

I used to peak in at desmonw and fcducati, but both were so dead that I stopped.

Some other local boards are a bit too busy with post happy folks that the inbox was filling up with less than interesting stuff.

Thanks for keeping your eyes peeled.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Thanks!

I used to peak in at desmonw and fcducati, but both were so dead that I stopped.

Some other local boards are a bit too busy with post happy folks that the inbox was filling up with less than interesting stuff.

Thanks for keeping your eyes peeled.

Have a good one.
hmmm, I've been on DNW 3 years and I can't remember a time when it was dead, except maybe the dead of winter. And with it being a local club you might actually meet a few of us around.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
hmmm, I've been on DNW 3 years and I can't remember a time when it was dead, except maybe the dead of winter. And with it being a local club you might actually meet a few of us around.
I wouldn't call it dead but it's pretty close. Hardly any Ducati content, the few posts made are generally insider clique stuff. Which is OK but not a good source for information as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts

I don't have the software, I just used the multimeter method on the ECU connector. I haven't fooled with any CO setting, I don't know if it's adjustable for our years, mine is a '01 too.

I also had an annoying idle cough and I checked everything I could. Almost swallowed my pride and took it to a shop! But persistence prevailed and I found that the front Magnecor wire was making an intermitant connection (which somehow effected both throttle bodies, ECU response maybe?) Their spark plug end moldings are not fused to the wire and my connector was touching but not making good contact with the plug. A cheap fix...whew! I would check wires and plugs very thoroughly.

You can also check spark one plug at a time but don't run the bike without grounding the plug, it could damage the ECU.

·
Mr Leakered
8,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I must have just been checking in at the wrong times.

Meet up. Too funny. With the busy family life, I'm lucky to get out for a weekend ride once a month. Lately, it's been once every three months. Commuting has to suffice for now.

My major goal for this year is to do one bike camping overnighter. And honestly, that might end up on a wish list. I've been riding for three years now and have yet to 1) hit the penninsula, or 2) get on a ferry. That's the rest of wish list. ;)

Thanks again.

Have a good one.

·
Mr Leakered
8,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't have the software, I just used the multimeter method on the ECU connector. I haven't fooled with any CO setting, I don't know if it's adjustable for our years, mine is a '01 too.

I also had an annoying idle cough and I checked everything I could. Almost swallowed my pride and took it to a shop! But persistence prevailed and I found that the front Magnecor wire was making an intermitant connection (which somehow effected both throttle bodies, ECU response maybe?) Their spark plug end moldings are not fused to the wire and my connector was touching but not making good contact with the plug. A cheap fix...whew! I would check wires and plugs very thoroughly.

You can also check spark one plug at a time but don't run the bike without grounding the plug, it could damage the ECU.
Yes, I have the TPS baselined to 150mv and stop screw adjusted to 400mv. The problem that I ran into was with the throttle balance / idle adjustment, everything worked perfect and balanced with the idle air screws the whole way in (full rich so to say). Then, over time, I kept adjusting the trim pot down looking for some lean popping. I'm at the lean side stop and nothing with a fairly typical low 40s MPG average.

Thanks for the tip on the plug wires. I've been thinking about those as they are probably original. Considering all the wiggling it takes to pull them out, even with a good layer of dialectric grease, I can see the issue. Where did you find your set?

The cough did start just after I did the 24k service. As you know, so much was done that it is quite hard to tell what could cause this. After dealer service by the previous owner up to that time, I was amazed what I was able to do on my own.

Have a good one.

·
Mr Leakered
8,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Weird. It looks like I lurked but never created an account there.

I'm in there now as tonered (as usual). I'll post up as soon as it lets me.

Have a good one.

·
Mr Leakered
8,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I got mine direct, they're about half the price of stock items (I laughed when the dealer gave me the prices) and probably better. Just make sure you have enough lead in the rubber plug to make good contact.

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm
Did you fab your own set or are you talking about the length that you specified to Magnecor? It seems that they have ready made sets for the ST4.

Which sized did you go with? I'm thinking about the 8mm.

Thanks.

·
Mr Leakered
8,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I just ordered up some plug wires from TPO parts. I tried to find the Magnecores online and locally, but kept coming up blank for the ST set. TPO has some 8.5mm MSD wires for $40. Only problem was that I stuffed the basket with a few other bits that I have been eyeing. ;)

Have a good one.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I just ordered up some plug wires from TPO parts. I tried to find the Magnecores online and locally, but kept coming up blank for the ST set. TPO has some 8.5mm MSD wires for $40. Only problem was that I stuffed the basket with a few other bits that I have been eyeing. ;)

Have a good one.
Well, that's weird. I saw the invoice a few days ago and it was from the US Magnecor distributor. I remember picking out the length online. But yeah, the advantage was no other farkles to tempt me.:)

·
Mr Leakered
8,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did not call Magnecor directly as I wanted to first see what retailers were charging for a set when I happened across the TPO wires. Sorry, I'm cheap like that. ;)

The TPO set was 8.5mm wire for $40 compared to $61 list price for the Magnecor 8mm. I do appreciate the help though.

To be honest, I am tiring of my leaky oil fill cap, and I wanted their clutch spring retainer ring for Christmas, but decided to pass on it then in lieu of more presents for the kids. ;)

Now, I'm just crossing my fingers that the cough goes away. With the 30k service coming, I might be able to justify the VDST by then if it isn't cured.

Have a good one.

·
Mr Leakered
8,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You nailed it

Jasper,

I finally got the plug wires in (8.5mm MSD). I can't believe how different it runs just off idle and at small throttle openings. There is a lot more torque down low. Now, I'm starting to wonder if the torque has been missing since the last valve adjust or is it newfound. ;) I'm suspecting a little of both.

The TPO bits were excellent. The folks there were excellent to work with.

I had one minor cough pulling out from a stop light, but it didn't upset anything as it would before. The low RPM power is smooth now. I didn't notice until afterward that it was bucking at low, steady throttles.

It's 1k until the next valve adjust. We'll see what its like when I'm done with that and the TB check.

Thanks again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts