Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What am i doing wrong? Few years back i changed all valve seals which were Athena i think. In next service i found they all were backed off, so i bought originals and changed them. Now some 20 000 miles later i found them lifted off valve guides. I don't have original tool for assemble them, but i made tool from small bolt to pull them throug valve guide and it works just fine. I lubricated the seals by motor oil and pulled them until they bottomed, still they don't stay. Should i glue them or what?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is The Tool, cup sits snugly on seal shoulder and shaft is made of 6mm Bolt. It's easy to see when Seal is seated, no need to tighten More.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
No 'glue' needed for installing them. But, more importantly, NO OIL.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, i have done unnecessary work so much and mast do everything again. Must fabricate tool to instal seals without removing the heads. One thing more to learn that was not mentioned in service manual. :(

·
Mr Leakered
8,805 Posts
Here is The Tool, cup sits snugly on seal shoulder and shaft is made of 6mm Bolt. It's easy to see when Seal is seated, no need to tighten More. View attachment 982022
You're tool only pulled on the rubber section. You want to seat again the metal ring only. I used a ground down nut under the rocker. No need to pull the heads. It was not a fun job, but . . .

Have a good one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Avtually my tool sits nicely on valve seal shoulder, it must be th
e oil i used instslling. I gonna weld extensio to that cup to drive seas on, pushing or slightly hammering. Anyway i need new seals, old ones are gone.

·
Mr Leakered
8,805 Posts
Ah! I was confusing your tool for a seal.

I'm not sure what is up. I didn't use any lubricant other that what night have be there to start with.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have to confess I always glue them on with super glue... years of building crossflow engines and it was the only way to keep them on, and at the end of the day it won't do any harm. I use a tool to just tap them on quickly, as the glue bonds VERY quickly and if you de-grease them and the guide first its a good bond. on crossflow engines they were very difficult to remove after they had been glued on. the tool is a nice fit and sits on the outer periphery of the seal

1 - 12 of 12 Posts