Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen two ST4s and one ST3 with cracks in the upper fairing in exactly the same place. I had mine off to fix the crack (in the same place) and then fitted it back on. This thing, held on only by the two mirror mounts and two side attachments, then lining everything up and hanging the lower plastic on it, certainly must induce some excessive strain in the ABS plastic. It was a bit of a bitch to get this thing back on without stretching it too much.
Poor design? Weak material? Anyone else struggle with this? :mad:
Maybe I'll have one fabricated out of carbon fiber.

·
Super Moderator
5,134 Posts
Are you talking about the nose fairing or the upper section of the side panels? I haven't seen cracks in the upper fairing (yet). I've seen a few of the side panel uppers crack in the area where the mounting surface has to rise over the metal bracket.

Got a photo?

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I agree with Mike.
My 4s has a crack in one of the middle sections.

·
7,733 Posts
It is a rite of passage

Into ST home maintenance. The nose cone-upper ferring is held in place by four stout bolts attached to a steel sub frame, plus the lower arms are supported by the same frame tangs that hold up the middle ferrings, and it is then tied together with the windsreen, the inner black panels and the 2 crews under it. Not a weak design, it is very rigid once buttoned up imo. The abs is very stout-stiff too too imo, it does not flex a lot. It might be that your are doing it wrong, ie refitting everything. It takes patience, and you need to have a rountine. Start with the mid panels. Slip them on and hold them in place with the rear large screw loosely, then slip on the nose cone, attach it loosely, ie mirrors and two rear arm screws that go trough the mid panel, etc and so on, ie fit it all loosely so you have a little play to work within all the panels. Once its all together loosely, then start at the top and button it all up downwards.

I R and R my ferrings twice yearly, and no cracks in my 2005 so far. Do not attempt in chilly temps.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Referring to the cracks in the side panels on the horizontal surface under the cupolino...

This is a known issue. The fix is to remove the two "bumpers" (they just are adhesive backed rubber) that the side panels rest on near the nose under the horizontal surface. This was done by the dealer when my bike was new, and no issues yet.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Referring to the cracks in the side panels on the horizontal surface under the cupolino...

This is a known issue. The fix is to remove the two "bumpers" (they just are adhesive backed rubber) that the side panels rest on near the nose under the horizontal surface. This was done by the dealer when my bike was new, and no issues yet.

I'll check that out.
Mine was cracked when I bought the bike btw, and no cracks in my ST4 fairing.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Cupolino! That's got to be the word of the day! Bravo!

pg
DD
Yeah I thought that was pretty cool too Paul.

I may grab one of your lights off you when I'm over there next year btw.
Sneak it back into the UK without paying import duty kind of thing.
'All surreptitious like' wink wink.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Cupolino! That's got to be the word of the day! Bravo!

pg
DD
I just got sick of calling it a nose/top/front/whatever fairing/cover/dome/hat, when the name for the part in Italian is one word for all of these. ;)

Cheers

·
Registered
455 Posts
.... Start with the mid panels. Slip them on and hold them in place with the rear large screw loosely, then slip on the nose cone, attach it loosely, ie mirrors and two rear arm screws that go trough the mid panel, etc and so on, ie fit it all loosely so you have a little play to work within all the panels. Once its all together loosely, then start at the top and button it all up downwards. ...
Yes, I was referring to what is known as the headlight faring. Interestingly, that is exactly the steps I followed. Kept everything loose. But the upper wellnuts of the side fairings don't line up precisely with those of the lower edge of the headlight fairing. Gotta give it a slight squeeze together. This is plastic under light but definite stress over time and vibration, these little cracks are induced. Plus as stryder said, ABS is not a terribly flexible plastic. Crack is not separated and not really noticeble unless you get your face right into it. But, I think when I get it off end of season I'm going to get it plastic welded. Someone suggested SS mesh reinforcement melted into plastic also as a future prophylactic. Meanwhile, I'm ridin' :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts