Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the site, and new to Ducati. The closest thing I've owned is an SV650, which I was totally dedicated to. I've wanted a Ducati since I first saw a Ducati cafe race style bike in the early 70's. I've already harvested information from the site, and appreciate the incredibly good nature of the contributers. I perform all service on my own bikes and cars, and your contributions have already helped.

A search of the "archive" forum has several claims of using belts made by BUCCI, for half the price of Ducati prices. I can find no such belts listed under any of the references, except for these models, "851/888/748/916/996." I read that the 996 and 916 engines in the ST4 have a belt that is a tooth off the length of the standard 996 and 916 engines, and are not interchangeable, so I'm wondering what I have missed.

So, is there a valid choice in ST4s belts, or am I stuck paying through the Ducati gouge program? (I've already unsuccessfully tried Desmotimes, Lockhart Phillips (130 for the pair), and San Diego House of Motorcycles.

By the way, I just took possesion of a Red ST4s from Minnesota, with history totally unknown. I'm doing the valves/belts prior to putting it on the road. If by any chance, you have dumped a red 2002 on the market in the last four months with about 17k miles, drop me a private email please. I really would like some history on this beast. (Speaking of dumped, this bike was has damage on the right side from being dumped!)

Thanks

·
Registered
406 Posts
Welcome to the ST4 world!

Yes, It is true, the belts are not the same. This is due to a different head/exhaust valve configuration on your ST. Story is the ST exhaust valve location was "lowered" or moved closwer to the crankshaft to allow front wheel clearance. What ever the true reason is/was, fact is they are differet.

I have seen other posts that claim Gates makes the OEM belt. And I have tracked Gates to Purvis bearing. Of which Purvis has local retail outlets as well as a decent website.

:confused: (Gates T934, the size is PowerGrip5297 58070 x 18mm): is information I pasted from a differnt ST-list. But I cannot find this information on the Gates or Puvis sites. And I havn't had time to call & verify whether those part numbers even exist.

Maybe that will get you going in the right direction. If you do locate a source, please come back here and post a follow-up!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Gates does make the belts for Ducati. They are a standard tooth size and pitch but an odd width. They're narrower than what is typically offered at place that sells industrial fan belts and pulleys, so it won't fit over a Ducati pulley. Compared to widths that are normally available for the same length, there wasn't any huge savings. Better to bite the bullet and get the right belt from Ducati, than try to save a couple of bucks and have it mess with your head(s). The same could be said for oil filters as well. Good luck on your restoration, got any pictures?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No pictures, yet. Though fairly mechanically inclined, I'm worried about the body work this needs. (Scratches on right, only.) The original finish is super, and I doubt that I, or any of my contacts, can match it. Thanks for the feedback on the belts. I'll bite the bullit. (Or should I say let the bullit bite me!)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Bill, I like to do my own work on the 4s and I came to the realization that since I do that - I can easily justify buying stock Ducati replacement parts. I often buy aftermarket o-rings, fuel filter. But I always use the OEM belts, oil and air filters. You are saving hundreds by doing your own work. Just my 2 cents because I have been there too.

Dave Harhay

1 - 5 of 5 Posts