Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen this subject talked about alot but my eyes/brain hurt from searching for answers. I have to replace my chain and am goin to replace both sprockets as well. As I have seen these bikes are ruff to ride in town. While my commute is on the freeway I do also ride into town periodically during the week. I have seen so much talk about 14 vs. 15 tooth front and 42 vs. 43 rear that I would like to see a condenced version of answers in one place. Maybe I am blind but I cant find this on the forum's so if this type of thread has been submitted point me in that direction or better yet just post up what ya run so I dont have to search the forums again ;);)

·
Mr Leakered
8,862 Posts
I've only have my ST on the original ratio (15/43). I can say that is works great for me around town and on the road. It could be a bit lower, but my speedo indicates that the clutch is fully engaged at about 5mph-ish. I rev a little over 4k at 70mph. So, I've go rideability and fuel economy. Seems to be a good balance.

Lumpy off idle can be sorted with a go TPS setup and TB balance.

BTW, I'm pretty close to needing a chain and sprockets. I'm only considering the 15/43 ratio.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I agree, the standard 15/43 is the best overall gearing for the ST4.
I much prefer the 14/43 on my ST4. I am very familiar with your excellent piece on all the different ratios/factors etc, and am prepared to live with slightly lower chain life.
I have recently aquired an ST4s, and was pleasantly surprised that I am very happy with the standard 15/38 - much better all round than I found the ST4's standard 15/43 setup.

·
Registered
244 Posts
G'day.....

14/43 for me, much more user friendly about town and a bit zippier in the twisties!..

·
Registered
655 Posts
Just booked by 03st4s in for a new chain and sprockets. Standard is 15/38, wanted to put on 15/40 but they only had a 15/39 combo in stock. Still have time to change my mind, it sounds like it might be still a bit high. They had 41/42/43 rears in stock but I'm worried thay might be a bit low for the open spaces down here.

Any comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=28202&highlight=gear+ratio

Read first and then look for second post from Shazaam a few posts down for the table.
Na not blind just wanted more than one man's opinion. Shazaam's piece is incredibly detailed but once again he's just one person. I always like lots of input when I am trying to reach a decision like this.

This can't be all the ST4 owner's on the forum's is there anyone else that would like to chime in :cool: :sleep:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just booked by 03st4s in for a new chain and sprockets. Standard is 15/38, wanted to put on 15/40 but they only had a 15/39 combo in stock. Still have time to change my mind, it sounds like it might be still a bit high. They had 41/42/43 rears in stock but I'm worried thay might be a bit low for the open spaces down here.

15/43 still good for 250-260kmh in 6th.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts

15/43 is what I have on my 02. It tops out at 147mph (GPS) with bags attached. 5k rpm at 80mph...right in the sweet spot. That or 15/42 are both quite good and I still get 49mpg.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
When I got my ST4s, one of the first things I did was go from 15/38 to 14/40. The 15/38 was crazy high to me. The 14T did cause excessive wear on the upper chain rub strip though. When it was time for a new chain and sprockets, I went with 15/43 which is the same ratio as 14/40. I like it better as it does not wear the rub strip (which was $40 to replace!) and the ratio is very just about perfect IMHO.

With 14/40 I was able to use the stock chain. 15/43 required two more links. If you just want to give it a try PM me. I have the 14/40 525 sprocket set gathering dust. Not new, but serviceable and if I wasn't going to go for the 15/43, I might have just replaced the chain.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I better fine tune my TPS before I mess with gearing. After my recent battle with the fuel pump and Eprom the mechanic said he reset settings to stock.( Not sure how he did this since the bike would not run) but I'm pretty sure he messed with it cause I have a serious surge in the now in the lower Rpm.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts