Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I just bought a 1999 ST4 and I will be changing the tires.
The manual says the front is:
120/70/ZR17
And the rear is:
180/55/ZR17

The rear currently on the bike is a 170/60/ZR17,
I searched online spec sheets and they say 179/60/ZR17 as well.

Which is right?
I am looking at Metzeler Roadtec Z6 Interact Sport tires.

Sorry if this has been asked before, I could not turn anything up in searches.

Thank you,
Vincent

·
Registered
494 Posts
180/55ZR17 is correct. It's what came on these bikes.
But as your bike has, the 170/60 is a suitable size as well. Some put them on for various reasons. A good deal. Availability. Some like the handling properties.
I like stock. 180/55ZR17. But I haven't tried the other size.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
This has been discussed in the past as I used to be under the impression that the ST2 came with a 170 and the ST4 with a 180 despite both having 5.5" rims. My 1998 originally came with a 170 and in 1999 the ST4 came with the 180, but I have been informed that some of the later ST2 bikes came with the 180's as stock. As Kramer stated, both sizes seem to be fine to use with that rim, so use what you feel comfortable with. My ST2 came with a 170, then to a 190, then I ran about twenty 180 tires, ran a 190, now I have a 170 on it..... :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Vincent, I just put a pair of the Roadtec Interacts on my ST2 ..... 170/60 rear & 120/70 front, by the way.......and initial impressions are :)
They have faster turn-in than my Michelin Roads, very smooth/quiet. Haven't explored fully the grip yet (I put about 25 miles on them to test them out) but they feel nicely planted on the road.
fwiw
Les

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, Les. It's heartening to read your evaluation. I ordered my tires on line, should have them next week.
:)

·
Registered
125 Posts
@Lesco

What was your reasoning for going to the Roadtec Interacts? I'm springing for a new set of tires for my new-to-me ST2 next week and can't decide on what to put on. Leaning to Pilot Road 2's but I'm agnostic on tires.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
204 Posts
I chose the Roadtecs because several of the guys I ride with rave about Metzelers (including the Roadtecs) on everything from Ducs, to Blackbirds and the reviews I read supported their opinions. I was tired of the Michelins as I think the Roads slowed down the responsiveness of the ST2. The other tire I considered by the way was the Dunlop Roadsmart, but I read some negative stuff somewhere...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Moto and Lesco,

Thanks for the feedback and sorry for sort-of hijacking the thread. I think you've convinced me. I'll cast about for some Metzelers. Interestingly I have a set of Roadsmarts waiting to mounted on my S3. It handles a good bit differently than the ST2 so it will be interesting to see how both sets work out. Anyway, both tires have to be a bit better than Dunlop K81's (RIP). ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts