Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why wouldnt the exhaust off a Monster S4 work / fit on an St4 or 4s?

Same bike right?

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
Yes and no. The header would bolt on to the engine, but where would you hang the pipes? The Monster S4 and ST share a main frame and much of the suspension and other basic hardware, but the sub frame is very different.

The headers are also very different. The ST has the swivel joints. The Monster’s pipe/header interface is more like an SS or the 851/888 series. Not saying they can’t fit, just not a straight bolt on. You would need a way to hang the pipes, like using the massive foot peg deal found on those bikes or make up something that would work.

What are you planning????

Edit: One other issue is the weak link for the S4 was supposed to be a 40MM header pipe compared to the 45MM pipe found on the ST4 and ST4s. Look at Brad Black's site for some dyno comparisons. Unless you're trying to fit an after market performance high pipe, or the like, I don't see any gain in it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not planning anything special I am just stuck on the fence.
I bought the 99 ST4 last year and I love the bike. At 48 years old it’s got the right balance of sport mixed in with a bit of touring. I just reached a cross roads because I think it lacks the punch I want. I know the bike I have now is an A plus mechanically so I know what I have, and its low miles closing in on 8k. I have almost doubled the miles since I bought it without any issues. I did the DD light and swapped in a set of wheels from an ST4S but its mostly stock. I can’t decide whether to go ahead and make it into what I really want or to go ahead and buy the 1026 ST4S in the for sale section. It’s not easy finding parts since most aftermarket parts have long since stopped being made. I have kicked around a couple of other BMW’s and an Aprillia Tuono plus the I really love the Guzzi LeMans but those bikes are all missing something for me.

I have my war chest lined up and I just can’t make a decision on which way to go. Just wondering what performance stuff is out there for the Monster S4 which can be used.

Ideally I would love to have someone fab up a custom set of high mount or under tail cans on either bike.

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
I really want or to go ahead and buy the 1026 ST4S.

LOL! That would take care of your need to add some punch, I'd say! Proabably the best bet. That seems like a very well sorted bike.

·
Mr Leakered
8,816 Posts
Not planning anything special I am just stuck on the fence.
I bought the 99 ST4 last year and I love the bike. At 48 years old it’s got the right balance of sport mixed in with a bit of touring. I just reached a cross roads because I think it lacks the punch I want. I know the bike I have now is an A plus mechanically so I know what I have, and its low miles closing in on 8k. I have almost doubled the miles since I bought it without any issues. I did the DD light and swapped in a set of wheels from an ST4S but its mostly stock. I can’t decide whether to go ahead and make it into what I really want or to go ahead and buy the 1026 ST4S in the for sale section. It’s not easy finding parts since most aftermarket parts have long since stopped being made. I have kicked around a couple of other BMW’s and an Aprillia Tuono plus the I really love the Guzzi LeMans but those bikes are all missing something for me.

I have my war chest lined up and I just can’t make a decision on which way to go. Just wondering what performance stuff is out there for the Monster S4 which can be used.

Ideally I would love to have someone fab up a custom set of high mount or under tail cans on either bike.
An undertail on either an S4 or ST would be a very interesting exercise. The rear frame does not kick up enough to allow routing of the exhaust that way. Of course, there's nothing stopping major frame mods. It is also known that well designed undertails loose power and add weight due to the complex routing.

For the SBKs, it allows big lean angles that are silly on the street. But, does harken back to the Duc of old where the look was equally important as performance.

Have a good one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts