Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a ST4, and have a quick question - I pulled the fairings to repair some cracks, change the oil, see what I am working with, etc. - and it looks like it was leaking coolant at some point around the thermostat housing. The clamps seem tight, so I am thinking it had been loose at one point, and then the dealership I got it from tightened up the clamps and called it a day. There was a little residue on the inside of the fairing after a lengthy ride to get it home, that could have been old, or it could still be leaking a bit.

I am going to run it a bit and see if it is still leaking, but the question is - if I wanted to swap out the hoses for silicone ones, would I be looking for the Samco set for a 916, an ST4s, or is the ST4 different than both? In my searches, it seems like sometimes I find references to hoses for both the ST4 and ST4s, but then Samco has a 916/996 kit - and I am not sure which one is right...or if plain old factory replacement hoses would be best.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,575 Posts
You'd be OK with the ST4 / ST4s kit. ST4 and ST4s have the 916 and 996 engine, but differ in the coolant plumbing from the Superbikes that are named 916 and 996...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent to hear a recommendation for them - those are exactly what I ended up buying (y). They got here really quick, and seem pretty nice - I'll find out this weekend when I put them on.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
AS3 performance has silicone hoses for your Ducati, They even come in a variety of colors.
Ride On
Dave
+2 on the AS3 hoses. Just make sure you use clamps for silicone hoses.

·
Super Moderator
4,709 Posts
The standard clamps dig into and can cut the silicone hoses. The recommended clamps have a rolled edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
OK Thanks, but it does beg the question if these hoses are that good....or is it cosmetics ?

·
Super Moderator
4,709 Posts
True. Could be the “farkel factor” but my OEM rubber hoses were seeping coolant from between the layers. At least that won’t happen with silicone hoses!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
OK, mine are 18 years old this June but are solid...I think. Any signs other than weeping that they are failing

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Could not see any cracks - one hose had the covering come off under the jubilee clip but it was a thin layer like paint almost, pipe looked solid. Mild steel clips were rusted to hell so I replaced with stainless steel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts