Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know where I can buy a Ducati OEM Comfort Fairing for my 1999 ST4? Either ABS or Carbon is fine with me.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. The optional tall Ducati screen blast my head so I'm looking for something a little better.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Try the Laminar Lip. I, too, disliked the buffeting from the tall screen as well as the regular screen. When the Laminar lip was installed on the regular screen, add the buffeting disappeared. I'm 6'2" and use the Heli bar risers, so the wind still hits me in the head, but it is totally smooth flowing air. Much quieter in my helmut, too. JMHO.....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Oh yes the Laminar Lip, I forgot about that.
It would be a much cheaper option all around, and probably better.

Laminar Products for Ducati ST2 ST3 ST4(S)

Apparently the standard lip is better than the touring lip.
I'm about to order the Laminar Lip for an 07 ST3. After about 2200 miles on a ride from Kansas City to the Texas Hill Country and back, I decided that some kind of "fix" was in order...

You say, "Apparently the standard lip is better than the touring lip."

Better? Can you say why that's true? Just curious..

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
You say, "Apparently the standard lip is better than the touring lip."

Better? Can you say why that's true? Just curious..
I read a review some years ago written by a guy who tried them both back to back.
He said there was less buffeting from the standard lip.
This was on the early fairing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had these on my BMW Dakar and seem to do the trick for freeway riding

·
Registered
160 Posts
I agree entirely.

When I got my 2003 ST4s, it had the standard height screen as well and an extra screen that was taller by about 1 1/2 inches, i.e. a touring screen. Both were factory screens. I experienced a lot of buffeting with the standard screen, so tried the touring screen. Buffeting got much worse. When I installed the Laminar Lip on the standard screen (at the recommendation from the guy that owns Laminar Lip vs. the touring screen), essentially all buffeting has gone away. Smooth air around the head - comfortable at 100mph+. And OBTW, the most cost effective solution, too.

·
Registered
470 Posts
It's just a shame about the look of it.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I really like the look of the DP touring screen. I would jump at the chance to buy one. Unfortunately they are unobtainable and I have been looking for about 4years. Tracked one down in the states once, bought it and the guy dropped it and put a crack in it when he was getting it down off the shelf. Fuck. So I think I'm going to have to try a grey MRA screen out of Germany.

Unless someone has one laying around...

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
Rosco, I had a complete kit a year or so ago & sold it to a fella in Texas for $400 from memory. It was worse than stock for noise and took more pressure off your body making it less comfortable than stock.
Plus it looks weird

Craig

·
Registered
654 Posts
Hi Craig,

How are you bloke?
Nah not meaning a comfort kit, victorysinc had those.

I meant a DP touring screen a couple of inches higher than stock. I think the MRA is moulded from that but for the life of me I can't find a pic of one on an ST4. The ZG screen just looks wrong to me, its much squarer at the top and flat rather than rounded.

The difference is apparent when you compare Mike's standard screen with Bills old ST4.

BTW I don't have a buffeting problem, I 'm just a really big bastard and after a bit more protection.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts