Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the best coolant to get for a 2001 ST4?

What is the process to flush the old coolant? I drained all the old stuff by the drain plug then disconnecting the various hoses. I just don't wanna make sure not to get water in the wrong places.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,509 Posts
Almost as bad as an oil thread...well...let me start:

This is what I do. Drain the system, fill with diH20 (distilled will work fine too, frankly tap water is okay...this ain't combinatorial chemistry!), circulate for a few minutes, drain again. Fill the system with a good coolant. I've used the stuff made by Honda, I've used Engine Ice, heck...in a pinch I've used Prestone. I have not observed a difference in coolant temperature when any of the above mentioned coolants.

Asbestos jacket on...bring it on!

·
Registered
286 Posts
There’s some good utube videos on how to flush system. When I did mine on my ST4 I drained system then filled back up with vinegar and distilled water mixed 50/50 then ran ran bike up to temperature to clean system. After draining I used Engine Ice.

·
Super Moderator
5,509 Posts
I got the Honda coolant at a bike shop....smaller container....blue coolant... probably the same stuff as the automotive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
When I bought my ST, the dealer filled it with Engine Ice. I've been using Engine Ice every time I do a flush and coolant change.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I use Peak Global Lifetime. Can buy it premixed at Walgreens. Stay away from antifreeze with silicate additives.

Reactions: mlukason

·
Registered
646 Posts
Maybe I'm just cheap, but I've always used Prestone mixed 50/50 with distilled water. I'm getting close to 100k miles between a few different bikes and have never had a cooling system issue with any of them. As long as it's safe for use in aluminum engines, I think you're ok.

Reactions: SP3

·
Registered
13 Posts
It depends whether you expect temps below freezing. 50/50 will prevent freezing, but you lose a LOT of heat transfer, which matters in warmer conditions. The ST2 and ST4s will overheat without airflow, (if you're stuck in traffic a lot in hot weather, you will understand). Even when riding with plenty of flow and cooler weather, your legs will cook. Simplest and cheapest first - here in California, I use distilled water and WaterWetter, which knocks the temps down about 4-6°F compared to antifreeze. I also use the slightly larger fan with a switch override. None of that will help if you have a pocket of air in your cooling system- I have never been able to drain spec volume of coolant and then refill the spec amount, the package simply won't work with gravity only.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts