Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 St3s with about 7k. I'm experiencing a problem with what I would call "fast idle". When I start up from a cold situation the bike runs fine but the idle won't drop below 2500-2000 for about 20 to 30 mins. The shop says that maybe the Leo Vince SKB exhaust may(?) be the prob, or mapping, or??. After a time span every thing runs great but it's irritating to sit at a light reving at 2500. All else is great and the rides in Oregon and Washington are beyond belief. Any help with my small problem will be greatly appreciated.

·
Ducati Designs
1,124 Posts
I believe the 06 has a step-motor controlled fast idle valve, and it sounds like its not quite working. Look up between the throttle bodies and you should be able to see it; it has a pair of hoses going into its base. When you turn the key on, you should hear/feel it move and return when the key is turned off. They have been known to stick, fail, and generally cause discontent.

BTW, though your bike may be out of warranty, its part of the emissions system, and therefore should be eligible for repair under that seperate federally-mandated warranty.

Cheers

pg
DD

·
Beta Tester
1,957 Posts
maybe try a TPS reset. dealer can do it in about 10 minutes. just a thought:think:

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Wow you guys are good- I was gonna accuse the newb of not knowing how to use the fast idle. Lol.

Welcome to Ducati.ms hope that your fast idle issue is quickly resolved.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Fast Idle

I had the same problem with my 06 ST3. I took it to my shop and asked my mechanic WTF??? He asked me if I moved the throttle after I turned the key to ON and before I pushed start button. I didn't remember but my hand was on the throttle when I started it. He said what happens some times is if you turn the key to start position and move the throttle, the system detects a different (albeit false) idle speed, so when the engine starts you are idling at 2000-3000 rpm. Turning engine and ignition off and restarting solved my problem. Since then I turn the key to start position, keep my hand off the throttle and push the start button. Once it fires up I give a little rev to smooth it out (as much as a Ducati can be smoothed out) and all is good. Try this and see if it helps. It doesn't have to make sense it just has to work. Let us know how it goes!!

·
7,733 Posts
I had the same problem with my 06 ST3. I took it to my shop and asked my mechanic WTF??? He asked me if I moved the throttle after I turned the key to ON and before I pushed start button. I didn't remember but my hand was on the throttle when I started it. He said what happens some times is if you turn the key to start position and move the throttle, the system detects a different (albeit false) idle speed, so when the engine starts you are idling at 2000-3000 rpm. Turning engine and ignition off and restarting solved my problem. Since then I turn the key to start position, keep my hand off the throttle and push the start button. Once it fires up I give a little rev to smooth it out (as much as a Ducati can be smoothed out) and all is good. Try this and see if it helps. It doesn't have to make sense it just has to work. Let us know how it goes!!
Your '06 was the first year for the closed loop/lamda sensor EFI. (Just wondering out of curiosity, does it have a fast idle/"choke" lever on the left hand bar switch gear assembly/housing?) The only experience I've had with a closed loop efi equipped bike was my 2003 FJR, and I had no way of controlling the cold start idle speed. She'd spark up at around 1700+ rpms and stay there for a few seconds or longer, much longer at times, depending on the outside temps, ie lower temps, longer higher rev idle time. Blipping the throttle did nothing. You're saying your '06 ST3 doesn't do that, ie set a higher rpm idle speed/duration based on outside temps, but that a blip of the throttle brings rpms down to 1100 rpms?

·
Registered
60 Posts
There is no idle adjust mechanism of any kind. All done electronically. When I start mine up it runs around 12-1500 then settles right back down to about 1000. What I do is turn key to start, wait for all lights to come on (instrument cluster) then push start button for about a second (don't hold button like conventional starters, just hold button in till you hear motor turning over and let the electronics do the rest). Once bike starts I blip the throttle to smooth things out, as it usually sounds a bit rough at first idle, especially if I haven't ridden it for awhile, then it idles fine at about 1000 rpm. The outside temp doesn't seem to effect idle speed although I honestly don't pay close attention to it because I'm gearing up while it's warming up. I'll keep an eye on it the next few times I start up and see what it does.

·
7,733 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Good to keep up with the differencecs between moels. My open loop system has a fast idle lever and I set it according to temps, and for as long as the bike's been sitting, ie colder temps and or longer durations between rides, and I'll use more lever to start the bike. But, once she sparks up, I move the lever/bring rpm's down to a smooth running 1100 rpms or so, and let her warm up from there, ie I don't let it idle at high rpms for a split second longer than needed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts