Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
‘07 ST3s, 09 GT 1000
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hardest part for me doing belt service is removing/replacing the belt covers .... find it hard to believe something would get caught in there .... it would have to make it's way through full fairing or radiator or oil cooler first ... seems like maybe overkill or am I missing something or other reason for them being there .... would love to hang those covers on my shed wall .... advice , thoughts are very welcome ....
Craig

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well, there is the saying "famous last words." I've seen a lot of odd things happen over the years. One of the weirdest was a corn stalk going through a hole in a crossbrace of a Chevy pickup and taking out a computer connector. Sounds silly until you pay for 6 hours of labor to resolder the tiny pins. Or my old VW Dasher which was nose first into a big storm, somehow got enough snow buildup under the timing cover to slip the timing one notch.

Do as you wish. I don't trust the world.

·
Premium Member
5,703 Posts
Every time I do a valve service on my bikes, I take a decent amount of time picking small stones and such out from the V between the cylinders. I have a semi-open bottom belly pan on the 916. Every time I take the fairings off, I dump a handful of small stones out of it. I personally would not want to have a small stone try to fit between a belt pulley and the belt at 6K RPM. Your call.

Reactions: tonered

·
Mr Leakered
8,944 Posts
Every time I do a valve service on my bikes, I take a decent amount of time picking small stones and such out from the V between the cylinders. I have a semi-open bottom belly pan on the 916. Every time I take the fairings off, I dump a handful of small stones out of it. I personally would not want to have a small stone try to fit between a belt pulley and the belt at 6K RPM. Your call.
Not only that, but the belts will saw through the fuel lines and wires that run past the covers.

·
Premium Member
5,476 Posts
open belt covers are great as long as someone else will be covering the engine rebuilds, as a mechanic I hate open belts as all it would take is one mistake and something (tool, part or finger) could go through the belts and do damage.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts