Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there having problems with their ST3s 2006 fuel injection?

Mine hunts/surges significantly below 5000rpm and the exhaust pops on a constant or trailing throttle. Also has a lag when initially applying throttle.

I've just had the 1000k / 600 mile service form the local Ducati dealer (Frasers Wollongong Australia) who I trust (had several bikes serviced and repaired there before) and they said there is now a oxygen sensor on the exhausts (2005 model ST3 did not have this) and this somehow will not let mixture adjustments by fiddling with the ECU be affective. They are referring this to Ducati, but sure is a pain in the bum meantime.

I had the 2005 ST3 and its engine ran beautifully.

On www.bikez.com someone else has noted this problem.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I also have the '06 ST3s and I've not had the problem. Had an '05 ST3 that I totalled last year. I can't really say I've noticed a difference in the engine, except that it does seem to run a little hotter. Certainly no hunting except a little bit at real low (2500) rpms. No popping coming off the throttle. I do like the suspension. Feels much more stable.

Hope it sorts out.

·
Registered
118 Posts
BAZ_777 said:
Anyone out there having problems with their ST3s 2006 fuel injection?

Mine hunts/surges significantly below 5000rpm and the exhaust pops on a constant or trailing throttle. Also has a lag when initially applying throttle.

I've just had the 1000k / 600 mile service form the local Ducati dealer (Frasers Wollongong Australia) who I trust (had several bikes serviced and repaired there before) and they said there is now a oxygen sensor on the exhausts (2005 model ST3 did not have this) and this somehow will not let mixture adjustments by fiddling with the ECU be affective. They are referring this to Ducati, but sure is a pain in the bum meantime.

I had the 2005 ST3 and its engine ran beautifully.

On www.bikez.com someone else has noted this problem.
I am having a problem with my '06 ST3s that my dealer is working on . The bike has stalled or hesitated whenrolling on the trottle from a stop. , some kind of O2 sensor problem ... we have a new sensor on order

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was not aware Ducati had updated ST3 to a closed-loop EFI system. This is however nothing new to Ducati as it was introduced on S2R, S2R1000 and I believe I saw a lambda sensor on a friends Sport 1000. It's all done in anticipation of new Euro 3 emissions that are coming in 2008 and are much more restrictive than even California emissions regs.

Anywho, a closed-loop system is generally MORE adaptive than the static non-lambda sensor system that relied strictly on preprogrammed mapping. The new system has maps, its just more adaptive to changing conditions based on the addition of the lambda sensor in exhaust. If you're having fueling issues, it could be the lambda sensor but my guess is its a buss or ECU fault. Lambda sensors are generally quite accurate and very durable. The wiring buss, particularly a digital system as employed on modern Ducati's is highly sensitive to slight kinks in harness or frayed insulation. The dealer should have a Mathesis diagnostic sensor that the ECU should provide OBD (on-board diagnostics) readout of any system faults detected which would include lambda sensor, wiring and ECU problems. The bikes' ECU has a default that if a problem were detected it would go into a "cripple-mode" wherein motor will generally run lean and produce far less power which sounds like the issue you describe. If dealer does not have the Mathesis OBD sensor, go to one that does and I am quite certain your bike should be running in top clean-burning form in no time. Take care.

·
Registered
31 Posts
re ST3 running rough

G'day, I might be the bloke that listed the problem on Bikez you refer to. I bought an April 2006 build ST3 on the 13th April. I've done about 1200kms and right from picking up the bike it has suffered the surging/hunting at constant throttle you refer to but at all rpms up to the 6000rpm run-in limit (it's just more noticeable at 3500-4500rpm). Mine also pops on a constant and trailing throttle , and it occasionally sounds like it's backfiring back through the airbox. The surging is so severe that it makes slow speed manouevring/cornering difficult and occasionally dangerous. Suffice to say my ST3 is back where I bought it while the dealer (Fraser's Perth) work out how to fix the thing. Apparently according to Fraser's Perth, Ducati dealers over east have been screaming for Ducati to come up with a fix to no avail. I tried emailing ducati italy but got the standard response ie. I was referred back to NF Importers and Fraser's. Moto-one in melbourne has some interesting reading re ST3 fuel injection and cam timing from memory. Try www.moto-one.com.au . It doesn't help us with our problem but gives some useful info re the ducati performance ecu associated with the DP Carbon cans amongst other things.
Have you had any luck in getting your ST3 sorted ?
Cheers,
Deebee

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the same problem and my dealer gave me told me the same thing. They say it is inherent in most of the dual spark versions. Pray for a fix before we end up stalled perpendicular to on coming traffic.

·
Registered
11 Posts
sv1150rs said:
I am having a problem with my '06 ST3s that my dealer is working on . The bike has stalled or hesitated whenrolling on the trottle from a stop. , some kind of O2 sensor problem ... we have a new sensor on order

Sorry to dissappoint, but this doesn't fix the problem. They did that on mine

·
Registered
166 Posts
Oh boy...a closed-loop system surging problem. BMW R1100/1150 closed-looped systems continued to be a problem for over 10 years until BMW provided a new engine design with the R1200 hex heads. BMW never admitted to the problem which lead to many pissed off owners converting their oilheads to open-loop and adding Techlusion boxes. BMW dealers did everything possible to fix the problem to include BMW San Jose aftermarket heads with dual spark to no avail. Adding to the problem was some bikes surged while others did not. It got so bad, many owners sued BMW causing BMWNA to buy back over 100 bikes under the lemon law.

Hopefully...Ducati addresses the problem and provides a quick fix. However, if BMWs experience means anything..there is no easy fix. Fixing surging on a two cylinder bike is even harder. BMW could not endorse Techlusion products because they voided EPA certification. Any add on product like a power commander or Techlusion would provide Ducati with the same certification problem. This lead to BMW dealers adding the device with BMWNA approval to appease owners.

Trying to make a motorcycle meet strict EC emissions standards is no simple task without. The EPA in the US is pushing new motorcycle emissions standards to mirror the EC standards. Although motorcycles get much better MPG than cars, they emit from 10 to 90 times the emission compared to a car. For example..a FORD F150 pickup emits .10 HCs per mile. A BMW R1150 RT with a catalytic converter and 02 sensor emits 1.5 HC per mile. So, the believed to be green BMW motorcycle emits 15 times the HC compared to the media label gas hog Truck. EPAs pushing to get bikes comparable to cars. That will totally gut performance.

·
Registered
118 Posts
motojoe77 said:
Sorry to dissappoint, but this doesn't fix the problem. They did that on mine
I received am email from my dealer today that they had a new ecu for me ,but were not going to put it in because of some new info from DNA and hoped to have a answer for me next week .... more to come :think:

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
motojoe77 said:
I have the same problem and my dealer gave me told me the same thing. They say it is inherent in most of the dual spark versions. Pray for a fix before we end up stalled perpendicular to on coming traffic.
I had the ST3 2005 prior to the present bike - dual spark engine without oxygen sensor - engine ran beautifully. Appears it is something to do with the oxy sensor setup.

·
Registered
31 Posts
re ST3 running rough

Baz, according to Moto One in Melbourne it is not the oxygen sensor that is the root cause of our problems but the "software" which from their emails to me I believe them to mean the programming on the ECU itself. Shaun Sutcliffe (Senior Technical representative for NF Importers our Australian Ducati importers) is over in Italy at the moment discussing the problem amongst other things at the factory. He's back Sunday 30th April.

Motojoe, I'd be very interested in what your dealer and DNA have to say about your new ECU and additional news.

Cheers,
Deebee

D

·
0 Posts
My '04 ST3 does some popping/backfiring AFTER it came home from the 6000 mile service!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sorry I don't have a whole lot of info to give, but I test rode an '06 ST3s and noticed some FI weirdness the minute I pulled out of the lot. Definite hesitation/lag on acceleration. I didn't ride it long enough to notice any surging, ala the R11 BMW's (which I've experienced, though not on a bike I've owned).

When I got back from the test ride I asked the salesguy what they changed for '06 - I had ridden an '05 earlier the same day with no problems. He said they got rid of the fast idle/cold start switch - immediately I thought they must have done a big change to the FI and decided this wasn't the year for me to buy an ST3.

Sorry you're having problems, I hope they get it sorted so I can buy one next year.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ducati technical response to 2006 ST3 EFI problems

The response from the factory via the Australian importers technical officer and the Fraser's Dealership in Perth is that technical personnel at the factory are looking into the problem. Time frames mentioned were "could be a week, could be a month". Suffice the dealer and I agreed that a month was unsatisfactory. To Fraser's (in Perth) credit they are doing some experimentation of their own with my ST3 along the lines of checking the lambda sensor (I did mention to them that Moto One had no joy with this) and also investigating whether or not fitting the DP Carbon cans and ECU help rectify the problem (I do not know if this will be successful as the DP catalogue lists the cans and ECU as applicable to ST3 models up to and including 2005). Apparently they will have an answer this week. We'll see...

·
Registered
118 Posts
deebee said:
The response from the factory via the Australian importers technical officer and the Fraser's Dealership in Perth is that technical personnel at the factory are looking into the problem. Time frames mentioned were "could be a week, could be a month". Suffice the dealer and I agreed that a month was unsatisfactory. To Fraser's (in Perth) credit they are doing some experimentation of their own with my ST3 along the lines of checking the lambda sensor (I did mention to them that Moto One had no joy with this) and also investigating whether or not fitting the DP Carbon cans and ECU help rectify the problem (I do not know if this will be successful as the DP catalogue lists the cans and ECU as applicable to ST3 models up to and including 2005). Apparently they will have an answer this week. We'll see...
I have Remus Titanium cans on my '06 and noticed no change (except exhaust note :D ) the bike seems to runs the same with stock or aftermarket cans :(

·
Registered
31 Posts
Interim Solution to Surging on 2006

Ok, Baz 777, srv1150, MotoJoe and others with surging problems on their 2006 ST3, I allowed Fraser's in Perth to have a play with my 2006 ST3. Cut a long story short, and contrary to prior reports, disconnecting the oxygen sensor does stop the surging and backfiring. The popping is still audible from the exhaust but only on a trailing throttle below 3500rpm. Yes it may be running rich but I have no indications performance wise up to 7000rpm that it is affecting the bike, in fact it goes better than ever. Fraser's technician is doing a 100km return journey work to home and back while I'm at work then we'll check the plugs and %CO in the exhaust gases.
Tried DP Carbon cans with and without the DP ECU with the O2 sensor connected but the surging prob was still evident. Even tried standard exhaust cans with the DP ECU and O2 sensor and still did not stop the surging. SO!!! The ST3 is running with standard cans without surging and the O2 sensor disconnected at the moment. Will keep you posted as to the outcome of the plug inspection and %CO figure. This is an interim measure until the Ducati factory can get their act together and provide a long term solution. I'm just hoping the plugs are ok. I think the ST3 could be a good candidate for an SFI Unit (Dobeck Performance Techlusion Unit) and Staintunes but will wait for the factory's solution first.
Cheers,
Deebee

·
Registered
31 Posts
PS to Interim surging solution

I know the popping below 3500rpm is indicative of leaness, by running rich in my previous post I'm talking about above 3500rpm. Plugs and %CO will tell.
Cheers,
Deebee

·
Registered
118 Posts
deebee said:
Ok, Baz 777, srv1150, MotoJoe and others with surging problems on their 2006 ST3, I allowed Fraser's in Perth to have a play with my 2006 ST3. Cut a long story short, and contrary to prior reports, disconnecting the oxygen sensor does stop the surging and backfiring. The popping is still audible from the exhaust but only on a trailing throttle below 3500rpm. Yes it may be running rich but I have no indications performance wise up to 7000rpm that it is affecting the bike, in fact it goes better than ever. Fraser's technician is doing a 100km return journey work to home and back while I'm at work then we'll check the plugs and %CO in the exhaust gases.
Tried DP Carbon cans with and without the DP ECU with the O2 sensor connected but the surging prob was still evident. Even tried standard exhaust cans with the DP ECU and O2 sensor and still did not stop the surging. SO!!! The ST3 is running with standard cans without surging and the O2 sensor disconnected at the moment. Will keep you posted as to the outcome of the plug inspection and %CO figure. This is an interim measure until the Ducati factory can get their act together and provide a long term solution. I'm just hoping the plugs are ok. I think the ST3 could be a good candidate for an SFI Unit (Dobeck Performance Techlusion Unit) and Staintunes but will wait for the factory's solution first.
Cheers,
Deebee
Thanks for the update . I am still waiting to hear from my dealer , but hopefully we are all getting closer to a fix for this problem .
I have not heard anyone but me state that their bike has stalled as part of their symptoms :confused:

·
Registered
31 Posts
re ST3 2006 stalling

Hi SV,
Sorry to hear about your additional stalling problem. Mine has never done that thankfully. I will be calling Fraser's in Perth tomorrow afternoon (Western Australian Standard Time ie +10hrs UT) to find out the results of the plug and %CO check as I will be at work (mine site 300kms away from Perth). When I get that feedback I'll post it pronto from work (server outages aside!).
What I did notice having ridden a Multistrada 1000DS for the past week or so and also in comparison to the memory of riding my ST3 is that my ST3 is now a fair bit stronger off the bottom end which would support the theory of running slightly richer. I can't smell any unburnt fuel out the exhaust at idle (like I did with my S2R800 + termi's + DP ECU and airfilter when cold).
My concern would be with performance at the top end if it's running rich with the O2 sensor disconnected (I have about 1250kms on the clock so still have the 7500rpm running in rev limit to observe) not to mention fuel economy. I have a tour planned for riding up the west coast and across the top end of Australia and back to Perth this winter (in 1-2 months time) with my Fiance` so I'm hoping all this will be sorted properly (ie. via advice from the factory) by then.
Anyway, I'll keep everyone who's interested posted as and when information arrives and , hey, if you get some feedback I'd be interested to know how your going with the same problem.
Cheers,
Deebee

·
Registered
31 Posts
2006 ST3 Interim fix for EFI problems

Ok. Get my ST3 back from Fraser's in Perth on Saturday (two days time). We checked all the plugs after 100kms and while a little dark they are not sooting up. The %CO is a little variable with the O2 sensor disconnected but the technical staff at Fraser's are satisfied this is not a problem and happy that the bike is not running lean. The bike pulls strongly and cleanly without any surging at constant throttle or backfiring. The engine management light remains on while the O2 sensor is disconnected but that should not be a drama at least until the factory comes up with a permanent solution. So back on the road again...Woohoo. Thanks to all for the feedback and hope those of you having similar problems have similar success with this fix.
Cheers,

Deebee

1 - 20 of 155 Posts