Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

So my continued adventure to returning this lost bike back to functioning toy. I have now got the bike together enough to installed a new battery this morning. As soon as I connected the new battery the fan and lights came on with the key in the off position. Nothing else seems to be working with the key in any position.

Thanks in advance!
Tom

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
Did you happen to connect the battery backwards...then realized your mistake? Sounds like a blown ground within the ECU. All it takes is a simple touch of reverse polarity. Also know to happen if jump starting with a car battery.

All is not lost. There is a ground in the diagnostic port. You can run a wire from that to a good ground on the frame or engine. You should be golden.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can you please explain further? This is the first time I have connected the battery however the previous owner was not screw driver qualified.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,195 Posts
It is far too easy to mistakenly connect the battery terminals in reverse on the ST series bikes. When that happens, even for the slightest occurrence, the internal ground found in the ECU gets fried. There are two things you can do about it. One, get a new ECU and all the crap that goes with that. Two, connect a jumper wire from the ground pin on the diagnostic connector found under the seat (usually strapped to a subframe rail) to a suitable ground location found on the engine. This bypasses the fried ground in the ECU and lets the bike run normally.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Black wire on diag port correct?
Thank you I appreciate everyone who has supported thIs adventure!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The one with two wires? If so when I ground the black lavender wire no change.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is one for the ? Pile. I swapped the new battery for the battery from my race car Bingo everything works. Yes I did double and triple checked the polarity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts