Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some advice on wind screens for the ST3. I am having a lot of wind noise in my helmet. I changed to the Zero Gravity ST screen, thinking it would take the wind blast higher, and maybe over my head, than the stock screen. It still hits me right in the chin bar. Is any one running the SR or DB screen on this bike? I am thinking those screens may lower where the wind blast hits me, and quit things down. Any other option?.I’m 5’8” and am using the stock bars.

·
Mr Leakered
8,811 Posts
I don't have a particularly great point of reference as my ST was came with two touring screens of unknown brand. I'm 6'0" with a long torso. The blast usually hits right around my visor, definitely above my chin vent of my X-11. Strangely, I have Cycle Cat 1in risers and clip-ons.

The second screen that I am using now is slightly lower than the one pictured below and seemed to have its trim strip removed. I purchased some car door edge guards that already had adhesive pre-placed in the fillet, each were 27in long and only cost a few dollars. I only wanted these to finish the edge a bit, but it had the side effect of slightly smoothing the air.

I think there is a similar trim strip that the Beemer riders use that was specifically designed for this purpose. As I remember it was kind of spendy, like $1/in. Crazy Germans.

One other suggestion, have you tried any other helmets? Sometimes, just due to airflow interaction, certain bike/windscreen/helmet combinations don't work well together.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I am looking for some advice on wind screens for the ST3. I am having a lot of wind noise in my helmet. I changed to the Zero Gravity ST screen, thinking it would take the wind blast higher, and maybe over my head, than the stock screen. It still hits me right in the chin bar. Is any one running the SR or DB screen on this bike? I am thinking those screens may lower where the wind blast hits me, and quit things down. Any other option?.I’m 5’8” and am using the stock bars.
rene;577512]Rene,I am using a ZG double bubble on my st3 with stock bars I'm 5'10".I noticed a big difference also depends on what helmet your using! When I wear my scorpion exo1000 there's whole lot more wind noise and buffeting !Changing to my Shoei x11 seems to make quite a difference for me .What kind of helmet are using?

·
Mr Leakered
8,811 Posts
Speaking of the EX1000, is the pump-to-fit system the real deal? I have only a couple years left with the X-11 and I'm hoping Shoei takes a good look at the current Snell helmet market.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the feed back.
I have an Arai Vector helmet now, and have had many different ones, trying to get things to quite down. All have about the same noise level. Maybe I have not found the right helmet. Something else is going on.
Outrider, if I understand you properly, the double bubble made things a bit more quite, or was it more of the helmet change?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I think there is a similar trim strip that the Beemer riders use that was specifically designed for this purpose. As I remember it was kind of spendy, like $1/in. Crazy Germans.
That is called Stealth Edging by Saeng. http://www.saeng.com/product.php?id=581&category=80

Don't laugh but I have it on my 1150GS. Some improvement, but not a miracle. Looks kind of cool.

Rick G

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks for all the feed back.
I have an Arai Vector helmet now, and have had many different ones, trying to get things to quite down. All have about the same noise level. Maybe I have not found the right helmet. Something else is going on.
Outrider, if I understand you properly, the double bubble made things a bit more quite, or was it more of the helmet change?
rene;57!8175]I'd say for me it seemed like the db made the difference!Also the shoei is a much quieter helmet then the scorpion.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Speaking of the EX1000, is the pump-to-fit system the real deal? I have only a couple years left with the X-11 and I'm hoping Shoei takes a good look at the current Snell helmet market.

Have a good one.
tonered;578085]The pump is about the only good thing on EX1000!!I always have taken good care of my helmets , but this one is less than a year old and falling apart.Inner tint shield rattles & doesn't always retract evenly,Z emblem fell off,lining is fraying ,and I'd waited a almost a year before it was available !Needless to say I'am back to X11's forever!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts