Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi new member,

I have a deal on a 2006 ST3, with low miles under factory warnty.

I have heard that the ST4s is a much better bike. I have heard stories regarding the ST3 service problems, true??

Help needed, which one??

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've not heard any stories about ST3 gremlins. All the ST range are fantastic bikes. It all depends on how much you want to spend and how fast you want to go. I've had an ST2 and ST4s and love them both.

Mark

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Mark, just out of plain curiosity how much quicker/faster is the st4s over the st2? I have a 1998 st2 that I just bought about a month ago. It's got plenty of power, I've owned faster bikes but I like the ride for sure. Again, just curious. I've only ridden the st that I own.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello. Also a recent member of this forum. Love all the good stuff from other owners. I had a 98 ST2 and loved it. Had gobs of low end, handled great. Unfortunately also had some gremlins that left me stranded several times. Twice the voltage regulator, once a burst line inside the gas tank, and then the master cylinder for the clutch leaked. I rode around that until I could fix it. Anyways, traded to a 04 ST4s, and then added the ducati pipes and computer upgrade. Biggest difference is up in the rpm range. When the ST2 runs out of breath, the ST4s keeps pulling. Both bikes though handled well and great fun on street and track. ST2 really has plenty of juice for street riding. Maybe see some of you on Ducati Island at Laguna next week!

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
By the time the 4's breathing kicks in you have already entered the "lost my license zone"...................:think: Never could figure out a 4 valve motor for touring except on the autobahn or Montana( can you still go as fast ashow do they say it?).

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ducman you are right about that -- my ST4s needs some "room to roam" to get up in the powerband. Even in New Mexico, one runs out of pavement pretty quick at ST4s top speeds!

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Owners of MY 06 and later ST3/3s have reported issues of rough idling and back firing due to the closed loop efi system. The only cure appears to be the DP performance kit, a 4-figured upgrade (US$) which includes new ECU, pipes, and air filter.

The ST4s runs perfectly right out of the box although replacing the OEM 38T rear sprocket with a 42T or 43T one really smooths out low speed performance.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
By the time the 4's breathing kicks in you have already entered the "lost my license zone"...................:think: Never could figure out a 4 valve motor for touring except on the autobahn or Montana( can you still go as fast ashow do they say it?).
Montana now has real speed limits, although they are high by US standards: 75 mph on the interstate and 70 mph for most two lane roads. There were times during my one trip into Montana that I rode at less than the posted limit due to poor road sufaces or the fact that I had not yet cleared residential neighborhoods on the edge of town.

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
Never could figure out a 4 valve motor for touring except on the autobahn or Montana
Because the "sport" part means more than the "touring" part to some... The nice thing is the engine can cover both very well.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The ST4s gets you better, and more adjustable suspension, and from what I've read, better fuel mileage.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I haven't ridden an ST4, but my ST3s with the DP kit runs well enough to stay with an FJR1300. It also gets 50 miles per gallon on trips at semi-reasonable speeds. The s model suspension is the best I have owned. (about 30 bikes)

·
Registered
887 Posts
By the time the 4's breathing kicks in you have already entered the "lost my license zone"...................:think:
Not necessarily - it depends upon which gear you are in.

Never could figure out a 4 valve motor for touring except on the autobahn or Montana( can you still go as fast ashow do they say it?).
To Montana you can add Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, etc.

Also, any wide open mountain pass at altitude, two-up touring with gear, track days and a little extra oomph up high does wonders for passing those cars poking along at 65 mph up a grade.:D

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
The 3 does it for me, the 4 is like dressing up a pig...it's still a pig. Having said that for sportier touring the 4 is prob better but the kid has a hotted up 2 that is PDQ....for the hooligan stuff I got the Triumph.....

·
Registered
138 Posts
I never understood this belief that the ST4s is somehow anemic unless you're traveling at ultra-legal speeds. I've test-ridden ST3's and ST4s's on the same day, back to back, and it's simply no problem - the ST4s has all the real-world usable torque you'd need, and lacks for nothing vs. the ST3, especially if you replace the stock gearing. And when it does hit the real powerband, the ST4s has a rush that the ST3 just can't touch. Having ridden both, there's a reason I bought the ST4s.

Both are fine bikes, but I just don't get the ST4s bashing that goes on around here. How many of these people have actually ridden one?

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Anyone seen this at BikeBoy.org. Real numbers run on the same dyno.
Looks to me that the 3 and 4 are dead even up to 8000 rpm where the 3 flattens out and the 4 keeps going.

"First up all std. Red is ST3, green is 1000SS ds, blue is ST4S. The advantage of more valve area is shown fairly clearly. I’m not really sure why the ST3 is fitted with two 34mm inlet valves where the ST4S has 36mm, but the ST4S has 4mm bigger bore for less shrouding and (more importantly) a bigger reputation to uphold. So maybe the ST3 is held back a little for that reason. The 1000SS ds has a single 45mm inlet valve for comparison. The ST3 also has 40mm headers not 45mm as the ST4S does, and I imagine that should be worth 3 or so at the top end too at this power level."

Attachments

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
Anyone seen this at BikeBoy.org. Real numbers run on the same dyno.
Looks to me that the 3 and 4 are dead even up to 8000 rpm where the 3 flattens out and the 4 keeps going.
extra 10 horse at 9 grand , guess it depends on where you live, in the real world big deal

·
Registered
439 Posts
05 ST3 owner

860GT said it IMO:

The better suspension of the 4S, or the 3S over the ST3, is the way to go.
At the end of the day, better suspension gives more in most curves then extra grunt, but no doubt many will differ. :rolleyes:

I am very happy with my ST3, however I have recently fitted a fully adjustable Wilbers rear shock (Ohlins quality, cheaper price) and I am going the 748/916 fully adjustable route for the front forks. I thought the rear suspension was pretty good before I upgraded, but the extra suspension performance is noticeable. Similarly the front rides well and only occasionally tops out.

On the same day I rode a Multistrada, Aprilia Shiver and ST4S along the same road. The Titanium Nitride coating on the ST4S Showa front-end really made for a smoother rode over a bumpy surface. I liked the 4S best of all but it was too expensive for my budget. If you can get a 3S choose it over the ST3, and likewise a 4S.

The 4S motor had plenty of mid-range torque and I didn't have the opportunity to wind it out. I miss the sheer power of my Triumph 1050 Sprint ST, but the ST3 has plenty of real road performance and is a fine bike. I changed fro the Triumph for the V-twin charisma of the Duke.

To close, I have had absolutely no complaints about power delivery or fuelling on my 05 bike.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Between an ST3 and ST4s I'd go for the 4s for sure. Between a 3s and 4s it's probably a toss up since the suspensions are the same. The 3s is a little more friendly at low speeds and the 4s has more top end. I personally have never bought a bike and wished it had less power, however the ST3 does have plenty.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Mark, just out of plain curiosity how much quicker/faster is the st4s over the st2? I have a 1998 st2 that I just bought about a month ago. It's got plenty of power, I've owned faster bikes but I like the ride for sure. Again, just curious. I've only ridden the st that I own.
Much, much faster. Ridden in isolation the ST2 is ok on winter roads but needs a bit more oomph in the dry. The ST4s is much faster. Any gear, any revs, open the throttle and you just disappear over the horizon.

I bought my ST2 as a winter bike to save the ST4s from getting dirty, but once the sun comes out bigger bikes the one to have.

Having said all that, of all the bikes I've owned, the ST2 will be one of the most fondly remembered, as my expectations were quite modest yet it delivered so much overall.

Mark

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
Depends on the ST2.

Mine has 90 RWHP, and weighs 20kg less than an ST4S (been on a diet).

I have yet to see any ST out accelerate me.

Besides, if I need serious acceleration (and the handling to go with it), I always have my 999R.

Tom

1 - 20 of 36 Posts