Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

St3 vs Interceptor

2135 5
I am new to this board and was looking to find out about Ducati's. I have a 97 vfr750 w/ 28,000 + miles, and have the ich bad for a new/ another bike. How is the reliability of a Duc vs Honda? I thouhgt about a new interceptor but hard bags aren't going to be cheap for it. The ducati dealer near me has an '05' ST3 left over.... I love the sound my vfr make with the two brothers pipe..... I have heard many twins with pipes and would love to hear what you people have to say. Maintance $ are not really an issue.. my vfr get new plugs every spring, and have been running full synthic oil for the last 22,000 mile and change it every 3-3,500 miles.
Chris
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Hi Chris:
My ST3 is my 20th bike and I think the 95 VFR750 I had was amongst the best of all of them. This is my 3rd Ducati and the maintenance is always an issue as are the "intricacies" of Ducati's like quality control and support. Look at the thread a couple down from here about steering stem problems - really unforgivable in my opinion. I like my ST3 and it certainly gets me more involved than other bikes I have owned, but the VFR is an excellent bike.
There is no doubt that the ST3 is a great bike, but there are plenty of other sport tourers on the market at the moment that offer other alternatives. If you shop around there seems to be some good deals on last years ST3 - price wise the Ducati is very competitive in my opinion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been looking at my opitions.... triumph was not at the motorcycle show at the ix center in cleveland.... the new interceptor .... fits me well.... the st3 ...... with saddle bags....... about the same price... after about $1100 for saddle bags..... Don't know about the vtech .....and 10,000 rpm's..... and 5 years down the road. If the st3 had a single side swing arm....done deal.

·
Ducati Designs
1,107 Posts
I've had both (ST2 and VFR), ride a 2003 VFR right now. They are both excellent bikes, fully up to the task of carving the corners or making the long haul. They probably cost about the same to service, although the service intervals are longer with the VFR. Both are easy to set up for a wide range of weights and skills. For me, they fit about the same. The VFR is a little underpowered compared to the ST3, bit the engine has tons of bandwidth and absolutely screams when wound up, and low-speed fueling is perfect. The Ducs have more low-end grunt and really roar up top, but can be a little lumpy at low revs. Much depends on tuning, throttle body balance, mixture, etc. Both take to good pipes and some tuning. The VFR has a superb headlight, the Ducati, well, that's another subject.

Personally, I find the VTEC feature just a waste of complexity, a solution in search of a problem. They probably could have just left the thing 16 valves all the time and it would run about the same. Some people (non-owners, mostly) complain of the big step from 2 to 4 valve operation, but on my bike, its seamless and a non-issue.

On the plus side, the partially-linked brakes of the VFR are an exceptional feature. Having a small amount of rear brake applied proportional to front braking force (no lever pressure, but actual braking force) really keeps the chassis in balance and reduces front dive nicely. With EBC HH pads, the brakes are superb.

Either way, you cannot go wrong.

pg

Paul Geller
Ducati Designs, LLC

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Paul, I have a two bros pipe on my vfr and it sounds wicked !!! The sound of a big twin with pipes......WOW!!! I was behind a VTR the other day....it was just sick...... it sounded so cool...

·
Ducati Designs
1,107 Posts
I've got Staintunes on my VFR, and they make a lovely sound. I don't use the baffles, but they are still quiet enough for everyday use. The sound of the V4 motor thru those pipes is just magical.

I have a friend with an RC51 with TBR cans, and man, that thing sounds like a gattling gun! Unbelievable! A completely visceral ride. My back was hurting after ten minutes, but WHAT a ten minutes! I think the front tire touched down a few times per mile...

pg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.