Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the ST3 out for a ride along the coast today ...weather was beautiful. Near 80 at my house and about 75 along the ocean. Rode south from Carlsbad to Del Mar along coast highway, then headed east to the 5 and entered the 5 northbound on-ramp and got up to speed quickly but as I shifted from 3rd to 4th, the engine raced as if it was in-between gears (or in neutral). When that happened, I pulled the clutch and got it back in gear but right after this, I noticed right away that my tachometer was now reading off based on the sound/vibration of the engine. The tach indicated that the engine speed had dropped to 3K rpm or so but I knew by the sound/vibration and mph when I was in 6th gear that I should have been around 5K rpm. I was doing about 80 mph in 6th gear and that's always right around 5K rpm but again, the tach was indicating that I was at about 3K rpm. I continued home and closely watch the tach gauge all along the way. It continued around the 3K rpm range and when I got off my exit and stopped at the light (i.e. engine idle now), the tach usually sits just above 1K rpm but now it was so low it was around where 0 would be if there was a 0 on the tach gauge. Something is clearly wrong.

Any idea what might have happened and how I can fix this? The speedo is still working fine and the bike ran flawlessly otherwise.
Thanks!
Steve

·
Super Moderator
4,688 Posts
That's a strange one. Did you happen to try restarting the bike? Maybe a "reset" of the computer would straighten this out. If it still is acting odd, I would try unplugging and replugging the connector in back of the instrument cluster. Another thing to check are the mounting screws on the instrument cluster, I recall a post about a loose screw causing some instrument problem (I don't remember if it was the tach or the speedo though).

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, in fact I didn't restart it ...once I got home, I pulled in the garage and left it but I'll do that today. Maybe it was a fluke due to that episode where the gear did not engage b/t 3rd and 4th. If restarting it does not resolve the problem, I'll try unplugging/plugging back in the instrument cluster. I was the one that had all of those speedo problems months back where I'd be doing 70 mph or so but my speedo would indicate I was doing about 6 mph. Got that fixed ...it had to do with ECU mapping issues. I had a DP map installed on my ST3 (not ST3S) and from that point, speedo would not indicate the proper mph. I went back and forth with 3 companies that do ECU mapping and Houston Superbikes ended up installing the DP map that was intended for the ST3S (ABS/Ohlins) for my speedo to start working properly, even though mine is not the "S" version. Crazy ...that makes no sense to me. But I'm happy that it's working now. So when this tach acted up yesterday, I thought to myself, shit here we go again. The bike has been otherwise pretty much really reliable.

·
Registered
740 Posts
. I went back and forth with 3 companies that do ECU mapping and Houston Superbikes ended up installing the DP map that was intended for the ST3S (ABS/Ohlins) for my speedo to start working properly, even though mine is not the "S" version. Crazy ...
Hmm.I had Odd Pod issues after a bad re-map.Not saying this is the problem,but the pod is very sensitive to what ECU and map that it is talking to.If incorrect you get a lot of non-functioning and incorrect info from it.If it's not a mechanical problem,ie;bad connecton,pod,sensor,you may consider the posibility of a non-compatible map or a re-flash of the pod.I had to do this when installing an incorrect ECU.Done by SOS,..
S.O.S. Diagnostics - Automotive Programming and Diagnostics

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a similar problem, however I solved it by disconnecting the instrument cluster cable and spraying an electronic cleaner into the female end of the plug, then blowing it our with an air compressor. Plugged it back in and it seems to be working reliably.

Previously, it would behave as you suggested a few minutes after starting and shutting off bike and restarting a few times seemed to get it working. But an experience Ducati mechanic suggested just unplugging the jack which I did and also added the cleaner.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I did have mine go flaky on my ST3. Took it apart and it had a broken component, which isn't surprising since the tach will shake like a paint shaker if you accelerate from low RPMs. I had to buy a tach, ignition switch, and ECU (they are tied electronically together) from EBAY to get it fixed. Just FYI. Hope it's just a connector issue.

Good luck,

Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts