Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I push start button, nothing, starter doesn't turn motor. I have a new charged battery.
push button 2 ,3 times nothing. push again it starts. Its like button isn't making contact or is there a relay that doesn't make contact?
What should I start looking at?
Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
First you'll have to remove the right lower fairing to gain access to starter relay and connection to the starter motor.

**Start from battery -ive and it is one wire bolted to the engine. Make sure both the battery and engine side are tight and clean. Use some dialectic grease to help it out.
**From the batter +ive, make sure the battery cable end is very tight and clean. The cable goes to the starter relay. Make sure it is clean at that point. From the other side of the relay, the cable goes from the relay to the starter. Make sure both ends are clean and tight.

The relay is controlled by the starter button wire and you'll see the small gauge wires at the relay. Make sure no breaks or anything out of order.

Other than than, not much to it. If the above proves good, next would be to open the starter button clam shell and spray with some WD-40 to see if it helps. After that, hook an external battery directly to the starter and engine and see if the starter 'jumps' to life. If so, could be the relay.

Do you have the upgraded cables? How did you determine the batter is good?

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
That's not how the ST3 works. The starter is controlled by the ECU.

The switches in the control can get unhappy. Carefully take ot part and try spraying in some contact cleaner.

Have a good one.

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
Yep. Check that first.

You can unplug it at the disconnect and check for continuity with a multimeter.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well,

Removed the switch off the bar, blasted it with contact cleaner , the kill switch as well as I could and the starter button. I didn't dig in any deeper than that. Looked like it could get a little messy so 5 or 6 blasts with the cleaner sticking the snorkel nozzle in wherever I could.
Re- assembled, and Wallah started on the first push of the button. Tried it 5 times, cranked every time. Think you nailed it Toner, thanks a bunch.
(wasn't looking to pull the plastic off if I could help it.) good call
Regards
Dave Zander

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Well,

Removed the switch off the bar, blasted it with contact cleaner , the kill switch as well as I could and the starter button. I didn't dig in any deeper than that. Looked like it could get a little messy so 5 or 6 blasts with the cleaner sticking the snorkel nozzle in wherever I could.
Re- assembled, and Wallah started on the first push of the button. Tried it 5 times, cranked every time. Think you nailed it Toner, thanks a bunch.
(wasn't looking to pull the plastic off if I could help it.) good call
Regards
Dave Zander
Wow, GREAT guess Tony! You get the ST3 fickle finger of fate award for this week!

Reactions: tonered

·
Registered
494 Posts
Just don't do what I did. I took the entire switch apart to clean the push button contacts. Great idea, but I failed to take pictures. That thing is built like a Chinese puzzle box. To add insult to injury, I launched the switch push button spring out into the lawn. :mad:

Decent used ones are found on EBay for between thirty and forty bucks. :crying:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ya, i kinda figured it could turn into a cluster F*** totally disasembling it, Like something I wish I had never done. Luckily just hosing down solved the problem. >:)

·
Registered
494 Posts
FWIW. When I took the switch apart I found all sorts of crud that had accumulated after nearly ten years of exposure to life on the road. I initially thought of hosing the switch out with cleaner, but I thought I would try to be a bit more elegant and disassemble the switch. Also, the switch is plugged into a relatively accessible socket under the upper right corner of the fairing.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, Sounds like a good after the riding season project, I can take my time and if I loose some parts or whatever I won't be in a yank to get it fixed. After all the time and Money I spent this off season I really want to ride the hell out of my ST this season. Hopefully will get out of this crappy weather soon where I can put on some fun miles in South Eastern Ohio. New suspension and wheels and tires and I really haven't had a chance to see how much better this handles. Straight roads are boring.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to raise a dead thread, but I need some help possibly acquiring/fitting a new solenoid for my ST3. Due to starting issues after replacing an older battery I noticed an inconsistent charging "click" of the contact coil.

Decided to remove the solenoid and check for corrosion, and scrub the posts with a brass brush (probably should have checked the starter switch first). One of the posts has some play in it, and the other seems like there's a spring behind it. Haven't had a chance to test, but fairly confident the one post won't make a good connection.

Saw a lot of mentions about a Yamaha part that CA-Cycleworks used to sell, but I can't find it on the site. I also can't find the part number from the catalog online, just some similarish ones, that might have different connectors. Suggestions for a replacement part? Anyone know what kind of connector is used for the switch leads from the ECU? It doesn't look like AMP to me.

Thanks for any suggestions!

·
Registered
70 Posts
The solenoid PN
is shown on the St equivalent parts list file.

I can't copy and paste at the moment but I did get one from CA and it worked.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sorry, it is the relay that is listed, not the solenoid.

I did buy the one from CA and it worked, I believe it is a Yamaha PN.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts