Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
06' ST3
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just cannot seem to keep my ST3 trouble-free for any length of time it seems. I'm still trying to sort our my speedo reading issue and now this. So I rode the bike to work a few weeks back and parked it in our parking structure in my normal spot and used the sidestand like I always do. When I walked up to the bike at the end of the day, I was surprised to see it severely leaning to the left. It appeared as if it had been knocked over and then picked back up and not set right on the sidestand. I checked the bike over and absolutely no sign of knock down damage, except some interesting paint flake-off on the sidestand (see photo). I looked more closely at the sidestand and it appeared to be hyper-extended back. When I got home, I checked the bolt torque on the sidestand and it was a bit loose so I tightened it but as you can see from the photos, tightening the bolt did not do anything as these photos were taken after that. I've been using the center stand since as the lean looks as if the bike is at risk of falling over.

Has anyone experienced a sidestand issue like this before? I honestly don't know what to do to fix this. Should I order a new sidestand or is this fixable? Are there after-market sidestands that fit the ST3? As we all know, even with a fully functioning sidestand, these bikes lean more than most other bikes.

Also, I purchased a Throttlemeister set on eBay awhile back and I was looking at installing them over the weekend but then decided to wait as I need to get new grips and will likely replace my lackluster grip heaters. Anyway, I removed the left side OEM bar end to see how it was installed and now I cannot seem to get it back on. The mount screw looks to fit into a threaded fitting inside the bar but the fitting is just loosely sitting inside the bar. As I try to screw the mount screw back into the fitting, it just spins around. This is F'in goofy ...why wouldn't there be a fitting that's fixed in place to screw this back in? Anyone know how I can get this bar end re-installed? I've attached a photo of what it currently looks like.

Thanks and happy new year to you all!

Attachments

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Did you adjust your ride-height ?
Have you checked the mounting plate in addition to the pivot-bolt ?
If that is Ok and the ride-height is set quite high then the bike will lean further.

Regarding the bar-end - I suspect the fitting that is spinning should be pulled out attached to the securing bolt but am indoors now so cant check it for you

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
That side stand looks bent forward to me. Just looked at my bike, and the stand is perfectly straight viewed from the side like your picture. Maybe someone sat on it while on the side stand and it bent?

·
Registered
06' ST3
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gearbox,
I haven't touched the ride height since I bought the bike. Also, the mount plate hasn't been messed with either. Regarding the bar end, the threaded fitting is being held back in the tube so how would I get it out to attach to the securing bolt? Was the fitting sitting snugly in the hole that you see there in the photo? Doesn't seem possible since it will not come back through the hole now.

SS904,
I'd be surprised if someone sat on my bike and bent the stand. To me, the stand doesn't look bent but it retracts back further than it should. See the photos of the stand foot that meets the concrete. It's not resting flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
That side stand looks bent forward to me. Just looked at my bike, and the stand is perfectly straight viewed from the side like your picture. Maybe someone sat on it while on the side stand and it bent?
+1.
It also looks like it extends more forward than mine, but could just be the picture. I've seen BMW forged stands extend too forward when the rider would have the bike on the side stand then put his foot on the peg while climbing on the bike.

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts
Could be right, maybe just the angle of that shot. Here's a reference pic I just took you can compare to. Tried to get it close to your shot. BTW, my side stand foot has never touched down flat.

·
Registered
06' ST3
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Could be right, maybe just the angle of that shot. Here's a reference pic I just took you can compare to. Tried to get it close to your shot. BTW, my side stand foot has never touched down flat.
Thanks Dan ...yeah, your stand def looks more stright than mine. It's crazy that mine was possibly bent! I can't believe that someone possibly sat on my bike and did that while I was at work on a secured campus with security in the parking structure all of the time. I should see if they have cameras in the garage. I'll contact our security dept. to see if they saw something.

Would this stand fit my bike (2006 ST3)?

Ducati ST4S ST4 2005 Kickstand Sidestand Assembly Hardware | eBay

·
Premium Member
5,697 Posts

·
Registered
06' ST3
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, Security tells me they have no cameras in the garage so looks like I'll never know what caused this if someone did mess with it. Looks like I'll be buying that used stand. I need to get rid of this bike ...I'm spending way too much on it and I hardly even get to ride it!

·
Registered
930 Posts
... Regarding the bar end, the threaded fitting is being held back in the tube so how would I get it out to attach to the securing bolt? Was the fitting sitting snugly in the hole that you see there in the photo? Doesn't seem possible since it will not come back through the hole now. ...

Looks like a brass expander in the bar end. You need to hook something in to pull out the expander. Loosely re-assemble it then re-insert and tighten.

·
Super Moderator
5,568 Posts
Oh yeah...that side stand is bent.

Regarding the bar end: There is a cone shaped nut behind a collar that expands as the bolt on the weight is tightened. To get that collar out of the bar you can try pulling it out with some kind of hooked tool or something like a dent puller (if it's really stuck). Make sure you only loosen the other side...don't take the bolt all the way out. When re-installing, snug the bolt, don't gorilla it down. :p

I like the rear lights you added. Do you have a picture of them working?

·
Registered
06' ST3
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Blitzen and Mlukason,
Thanks for the feedback on the bar end. I'll try and pull that fitting out from behind that collar. I was thinking last night that's what I needed to do but thought I would post up here first before I tried.

Those rear lights are Harrison Specialties amber LEDs mounted on the pannier rack. I had to drill through the rack to mount them as I couldn't find any mounting brackets that would work. I've got them wired on high (rather than low) ...I think they might be a bit bright for people behind me, though. My goal was to be seen so I don't get run over so maybe high is best. They turn on with my front driving lights mounted down by the fender via a rocker on the lower dash panel. Each light set is on a separate relay mounted beneath the seat but that is overkill for the rear LEDs as they only draw 8 watts total. I'll post back up with a photo of them on.

·
Registered
06' ST3
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Photos of rear LEDs attached + a few of the front driving lights (made by Martin Fabrications) and the rocker switch on the lower dash. Middle rocker is for heated grips.

Attachments

·
Registered
06' ST3
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The stand definitely looks bent to me.

Getting OT, how do you like those mirrors?
Yeah, I guess the stand is bent. I purchased that used one on eBay this morning so hopefully that will resolve the problem.

I love the mirrors. Good build quality and they have more viewing area than the OEMs and at $140/pair, they were substantially cheaper than new OEMs that run about $190/each. These mirrors are not Chinese crap. They are, however, not the break-away style but that's OK with me. I like them black, too, as they match some of the other black bits on my bike.

·
Super Moderator
5,568 Posts
Those lights look great. I like the round switches.

I have a set of Cree LED running lights from BikeVis mounted to my fork sliders. The previous owner mounted some red flashing LED to the back...not too bright and certainly not the surface area that yours covers!

·
Registered
06' ST3
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks! I had a hard time finding good quality LED housings ...most of what I found were cheaper plastic housings. Also, these have 48 LED lights each and some others had fewer than a dozen. These were pricey, though ...I think I paid close to $100 for the lights, plastic covers, and black powder coat upgrade.

·
Registered
06' ST3
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, the verdict is in ...it was definitely bent. Take a look at the photo of the bent one on the right and the new one (used from an 05' ST4 that is in near perfect shape) on the left. Got the new one installed yesterday and all is good now. I'm still wondering how that stand could have been bent with the bike sitting in our garage at work. Oh well, $56 later and all is good again.

Attachments

·
Registered
06' ST3
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh yeah...that side stand is bent.

Regarding the bar end: There is a cone shaped nut behind a collar that expands as the bolt on the weight is tightened. To get that collar out of the bar you can try pulling it out with some kind of hooked tool or something like a dent puller (if it's really stuck). Make sure you only loosen the other side...don't take the bolt all the way out. When re-installing, snug the bolt, don't gorilla it down. :p

I like the rear lights you added. Do you have a picture of them working?
Mike,
Yeah, someone likely sat on it in the parking garage and if I ever see anyone do that again, they will be shot on site :D

By the way, thanks for your response (and the others who commented) on the bar end refit. I grabbed that collar with pliers and by my surprise, it slid right out. I was then able to get the fitting out of the bar. I put a bit more lube on the collar and was then able to fit the bar end back together with the collar and fitting properly, slid it back into the bar, and tightened it snug. It was much easier than it looked. Next time, I will loosen the bolt a bit but not completely, then slide it all out as one unit.
Thanks again!

Steve

1 - 20 of 20 Posts