Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for experience from the experts..
I'm interested in purchasing a 2007 ST3s abs. And what I'm interested in is who if any of you have had to replace Valve Guides in your st3, and if you are making that a check as part of your valve Maintenance protocol. I live a long ways from a shop that can do this type of repair, and since i've seen worn valve Guides in other Ducati's at as low as 5000km I'd appreciate any experience you guys have had.

Thanks In Advance
J

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Wife's ST3s has just over 66,000 miles. Never any issues with top end and has never used any oil. Had regular 6K valve service up to 36K miles, then went to 12k valve service interval. To date, no issue with valve guides or anything else in the top end. We did have to replace the main bearings at about 55k miles. AMS in Dallas did the work and while they had it apart, did a detailed inspection of the top end. Although we put in a new clutch and some other parts in the bottom end, they put the top end back on with no new parts. So, I think I can safely say that the valve guides in our ST3s are still w/n spec. @ 66K and counting.

·
Super Moderator
5,084 Posts
I know of a couple ST3's (including mine) whose exhaust valve guides prematurely wore. The commonality with these particular bikes were substantial fore to aft rocking of the valve in the guide by 7,000 to 10,000 miles. So much so that it was not possible to maintain valve clearance within spec. We were told by a Ducati mechanic that a batch of guides were made that contained "too much copper" in the composition of the bronze. Given peoples experiences with this, it seems that if it doesn't happen by 10,000 miles you have guides that will wear normally.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes your observations seem to be the norm. If the guides are not worn at 10000kms all should be fine.
Thanks for you input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts