Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been tortured to death. But while I usually ride an ST3s ('06). A friend with a 1999 ST4 and I switched last night.

I was amazed at how different they are - I know there are lots of differences when you are comparing numbers and stats. But the 'feel' from the two bikes was completely different.

ST4 felt like the weight was carried lower - seating was more of an "in the bike" vs "on the bike" kind of feeling. ST3 felt more plush and had better control in the brakes. ST4 provided more feedback somehow to the rider. ST3 more power in the lowend - hard to really compare at full-power without a track or drag strip; but both were ample.

The differences were more then I expected and much more then trivial.

Anyway, interesting and eye opening - if you haven't ridden both; you should.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Swapped ST2 's with one of my buddies a coupla years back. Both 1998. Both felt entirely different with the handling. I could only guess the difference was the tires (totally different brands). I couldn't wait to get mine back!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Didn't the 99 ST4 have the 916 engine? At some point they switched to the 996 which probably feels different again.

·
7,733 Posts
I know this has been tortured to death. But while I usually ride an ST3s ('06). A friend with a 1999 ST4 and I switched last night.

I was amazed at how different they are - I know there are lots of differences when you are comparing numbers and stats. But the 'feel' from the two bikes was completely different.

ST4 felt like the weight was carried lower - seating was more of an "in the bike" vs "on the bike" kind of feeling. ST3 felt more plush and had better control in the brakes. ST4 provided more feedback somehow to the rider. ST3 more power in the lowend - hard to really compare at full-power without a track or drag strip; but both were ample.

The differences were more then I expected and much more then trivial.

Anyway, interesting and eye opening - if you haven't ridden both; you should.
They are very different bikes, set-up for different riders, so I'm not totally surprise at your comments. I'd like to try that sometime too, but I never let anybody else ride my scoot unless for service. :)

·
Mr Leakered
8,815 Posts
You let the service people ride your cycle? Sheez, if I see complimentary valet, I turn the other way. LOL.

j/k. I know, they have insurance. I still rather trust a friend or somebody I know.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
So many variables! Tires, suspension, suspension set up, wheel weight (both of which are lighter / better on the 3s and 4s unless the ST2 you road has been upgraded) seat and even tire pressure will change how a bike feels. Neat though. Never road an ST2 or 3. I did used to own a 900SS so I have a lot of seat time on a 2V bike. Certainly wouldn't pass up the chance to do a side-by-side. I like how I’ve set my ST up. I’ve definitely gone the route of comfortable sport bike rather than sport tourer. Just last night I installed a Cycle Cat RIPS bar set. I found a low-rise kit (or more correctly a same as stock rise) listed for a Monster S4. The ST kit, if you can find one anywhere, has way too much rise for me. Ape-hangers come to mind! No seat time yet, but I should be able to test it out tomorrow. I went for lower bar angle and more pulled back than stock. This should make the bike feel completely different! Maybe I'll post a report after I get it set up.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
So many variables! Tires, suspension, suspension set up, wheel weight (both of which are lighter / better on the 3s and 4s unless the ST2 you road has been upgraded) seat and even tire pressure will change how a bike feels. Neat though. Never road an ST2 or 3. I did used to own a 900SS so I have a lot of seat time on a 2V bike. Certainly wouldn't pass up the chance to do a side-by-side. I like how I’ve set my ST up. I’ve definitely gone the route of comfortable sport bike rather than sport tourer. Just last night I installed a Cycle Cat RIPS bar set. I found a low-rise kit (or more correctly a same as stock rise) listed for a Monster S4. The ST kit, if you can find one anywhere, has way too much rise for me. Ape-hangers come to mind! No seat time yet, but I should be able to test it out tomorrow. I went for lower bar angle and more pulled back than stock. This should make the bike feel completely different! Maybe I'll post a report after I get it set up.
The OP was comparing an ST3s with an ST4;)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Definitely a big difference between an ST4 and ST4s. Not just the engine either. The 4s has better suspension goodies too.

Mark

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
The OP was comparing an ST3s with an ST4;)
I know. I was talking about comparing different bikes in general. Even in a line like the ST which is basically the same bike from its conception to its end. The offering of varying levels of trim and engines marking the only real difference. I brought my bike into it because even if you took another 03 ST4s and did a back-to-back comparison with mine, they would likely feel very different based on mods and general set up.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Even in a line like the ST which is basically the same bike from its conception to its end. The offering of varying levels of trim and engines marking the only real difference. I brought my bike into it because even if you took another 03 ST4s and did a back-to-back comparison with mine, they would likely feel very different based on mods and general set up.
Very true. I have two 2002 ST4s's and they currently ride very differently. The difference is mostly in the tires and suspension setup.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm going to have to track down a dealer with an ST4s to complete the comparison. All in the name of science of course...
If you're ever down my way, you're welcome to check mine out. It's MY 2003 so not the newest of the breed, just the purdiest. ;-)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts