Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone point me to a description/previous thread of how you use the C spanner to adjust the pre-load on the ST3. Be buggered if I can get it on there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Get a long straight-head screwdriver, a rubber mallet and gently move the adjuster. I found it worked much easier than the impossible-to-position spanner. Just work slowly and cautiously.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've had no problems using the spanner. With a little muscle and careful spanner postitioning, adjustment was no problem for me. I'll take a few pictures and post how I do it soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
ST3 Spanner use

Maybe it just takes a lot of practice to get good at it, but I have a heck of a time trying to use the spanner.
Please post some photos when you get a chance?
Thanks
05' ST3

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've not had a chance to shoot photos of how I do it yet, but to decrease preload, I remove the seat, remove the front tray and access the collar from the right side of the bike. To increase the preload, I access the collar from outside the bike and there is what seems like about a 5mm window of optimal positioning of the spanner to the collar that allows you to grip the collar and turn it one click. You must use both hands solidly: one to apply a good force to keep the spanner wrench engaged in the adjustment collar and the other to apply torque to make the adjustment. If you slip, you may have a scratched trellis... Note that the shock rotates slightly and you can use this rotation to your advantage if necessary to get the spanner on the appropriate notch on the preload adjuster. I've never had to use a the hammer/screwdriver method on this shock. Patience to find a good position for the spanner is key.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts