Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

Today I’m trying to wake this bike from an almost six year slumber. Fresh fluids ect, new battery, bike powers up but will not engage or it seems trip the relay for the starter. These are all firsts for me so am I missing some thing?? Bike is on the center stand and in neutral.
Thank you

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,195 Posts
What do you mean by 'not engage'? The starter doesn't turn? The starter works but it won't fire? Please be as specific as you can and we'll try to help.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Love this site!!!

starter is not engaging nor do I here or feel the fuel pump coming on but I’m not sure if that’s normal.

·
9,195 Posts
So, six years of sitting and no starter activity. Fuses and relays checked. New battery.

Is the kill switch in the run position? Needs to be asked.

Bad solenoid? And you should check all the wires going to the starter, too.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes on run switch thanks for asking. I’m checking the wiring to starter next. Would it matter if the body work and seat where off?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Found a lose connection now the fan comes on and goes off when you hit the start button, but still no spin.
I have the minimal amount of gas in the bike if that matters. The adventure continues, beats Netflix by a ton.

·
9,195 Posts
Here's the starter logic tree:

You can see there are four conditions when the starter will not operate. So, if it still won't power the starter, check the neutral switch, clutch switch, sidestand switch, and kill switch.

·
9,195 Posts
Found a lose connection now the fan comes on and goes off when you hit the start button, but still no spin.
That's not good. Every time the fan operates when it shouldn't be on, my thoughts go straight to the ECU. When polarity has been reversed at the battery, even for an instant, it can fry the internal ground in the ECU. It is incredibly important to not let this happen. There is a work-around, however. You have to install a jumper wire from the ground connection in the diagnostic connector to a suitable ground location on the engine. This bypasses the internal ground. But I don't think this precludes the starter from operating. There is something definitely weird going on here.

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
I have the minimal amount of gas in the bike if that matters. The adventure continues, beats Netflix by a ton.
The radiator fan comes on when you press the starter button?
That should not happen.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes that is correct. Interesting though if I hit the engine off then hit the start button the fan will continue to run.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts