Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rode the ST3 (2007) to the weekly rendezvous location with an internet riding group, with no issues. Even stopped for gas on the way. After our usual discussion on where to go this week, I turned the key on and got no lights on the dash. Only the usual fuel pump sound. :frown2:

I hate to be "that guy"!

After trailering it back home, I began looking at the usual suspects... battery (new lithium ion) and fuses all check out to be fine. Horn is strong and I can get the High beam light to come on with the "passing" trigger switch. Tail light and brake light work. Small lights at the top of the headlight assembly are on. No other button will work. So I'm taking off the right side plastics to search for loose connections, today.

Upgrades: Recently installed L I battery and added the Motolectric cable upgrade (from Desmo Times) to avoid just this situation! So I've touched items in the battery area recently, but have logged about 600 miles since with no issues, till now.

Thought I'd also seek out the wisdom of fellow Ducati owners... thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Brad-in-STL

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update... removed covers from right hand side. All connections good. Several attempts to power up with no luck.

Went back to recheck all fuses, under seat and to the left of the instrument pod. When on the ones next to pod noticed the "immobilizer" light was now blinking, as it should, but had not been. Turn on the key and all things operational.

Went back and started to pull each fuse individually to duplicate the original error and found the 5A fuse marked NQS on the cover was the culprit when removed. This fuse checks out OK, so there must have been dirt in on the contacts? Swapped it out as a precaution.

What does NQS stand for?
Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Brad-in-STL

·
Premium Member
723 Posts
NQS - nodo quadro strumenti

English translation: Instrument panel node

·
Premium Member
5,678 Posts
This fuse checks out OK, so there must have been dirt in on the contacts? Swapped it out as a precaution.
Good call swapping it. Fuses can develop a hairline crack in the element that can be effected by, and likely caused by, vibration.

Reactions: beemerboy
1 - 7 of 7 Posts