Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '05 ST3 and am contemplating going the PCIII, exhaust air filter route. Based on what I have seen on dyno charts and posts here, it looks like you are only looking at apx. a 5hp gain for your $1,000+ spent? If that's the case, it seems like you are paying mostly for a better sound. Also, any opinions on the Fast By Ferracci exhaust vs. say Arrow or Staintune?
This is uncharted water for me, so any info. is much appreciated.
Thanks, Jack.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Jack, have you checked out the archives from the old site? I'm in the same boat as you, and have found tons of invaluable info there.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Bingo!

I have an '05 ST3 and am contemplating going the PCIII, exhaust air filter route. Based on what I have seen on dyno charts and posts here, it looks like you are only looking at apx. a 5hp gain for your $1,000+ spent? If that's the case, it seems like you are paying mostly for a better sound. Also, any opinions on the Fast By Ferracci exhaust vs. say Arrow or Staintune?
Thanks, Jack.
I think you hit the nail on the head. $1,000 for 5hp and louder. :confused:

Pura vida!
George

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Old guy you are exactly right, and when you are right I will agree with you. (joke between my wife and I) The $1000 exhaust system gives you very small gains in performance, but $1000 in suspension work will make you so much faster when the road changes direction.
My bike came with an exhaust system (Arrow) and chip but the biggest improvement that has ever happened to the bike was replacing the rear shock and the springs and cartridges in the fork. My $.02 after over 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Suspension...

Amen, Brother Butch. That's where the rest of my inheritance is going - better suspension on my ST3 ('06).

Pura vida!
George

·
Registered
688 Posts
From what I've seen and heard, the ST3 in factory condition is already in a pretty high state of tune. Leave the engine alone, and focus on suspension upgrades - the best thing you can do to an ST3. After 15000 miles the suspension on mine is getting a little soggy.

Some time back I changed the stock air filter with a K&N. It might have made it breathe a little better. The change was hardly noticeable.

·
7,733 Posts
Thanks, Jack.

You will not need a PCIII if you just add the slip ons to your '05, so you don't have to spend the money on that, or a gauze filter and mofified air box cover. As has been mentioned, not only will you have a much sweeter sounding bike, you will save a substantial amount of weight, which will add to both, suspension compliance and MPG. Though you may not see much if any HP gains, you will increase your hp:weight ratio and that in and of itself will make you quicker. Not to mention the bike will also run cooler. I have c/f Sil Motor slip ons and recommend them if you can find them. I've heard they make the FBF pipes. Keep your stock cans for resale or to anchor your house down in a storm. :)

You may also want to switch out the rear shock, and add a rear ride height adjuster, or get a shock that does both, as that's what I did, ie Penske double clicker. You should also swap out the stock fork springs and revalve at least the compression dampers which is what I did, ie .95 RT springs and RT Gold Valve compression dampers with 5W oil. All together, ie new shock with ride height raised with reworked forks, and once dialled in, the bike will handle very nicely, as in much better.

Have fun. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts