Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdo!!

Wondering if any one has fitted a lightweight fly wheel to a ST3? If so any gains and where did you get the flywheel from?

Cheers Pablo

·
Registered
116 Posts
No gain in power. The engine spools up faster. Unless you are on the track with your bike, or a hard core sport rider who needs a quicker revving engine there is no real gain.

My 944 had a lightweight flywheel and a full billet aluminum clutch. Now that thing spooled up!

Bill
2003 ST4s

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Howdo!!
I also have a 944 with (gas flowed heads,fcrs, spag system) lightweight flywheel, rods, clutch n pulleys and they do spin up quickly. The 944 has got as far as I can develop so I have gone for an ST3 motor. I have taken the 944 out off the Superlight and stuck in the ST3 engine. The reason I asked about the flywheel is on a carbed bike it did make a difference IMO, the ST3 is my first injected engine and I believe they have a lighter flywheel than a carbed engine as standard.
I aim to get the engine gas flowed and cams dialed in (maybe Pistal Pistons). I have fitted a 45mm full system and have a PCIII to go on. As for sports rider??? I like harrassing new n bigger bikes:D

Cheers Pablo

·
Registered
336 Posts
The stock flywheel is HUGE. We put a machined down stock one in it's place. It's not as light as a aluminum one so it doesn't have any stall problems.Call Steve @ www.europeancycleservices.com maybe he can send you one. It made a big diff. in the feel of the bike. I also went up two teeth with the rear sprocket..that helped alot also.

·
7,733 Posts
I'm wondering how a light flywheel affects shifting quality. It may spool up quicker, but won't it also spool down quicker? Aren't the heavy flywheels meant to keep the momentum in the crank so the revs don't drop too quickly in between shifts, especially in a big bore wide angle twin?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Pablo

Clearly - I would like to take a ride on one of your bikes! :)

Ferracci built the 944 motor in my 93 900ss. At 90 HP and 72 lb/ft it was perfect. And more importantly it was bullet-proof!

Stryder - the answer to your question is yes. I can say, from my experience with a lightened engine I had none of the stall issue's that many people refer to. My bike was used on the street and track. That said, with my ST - it's purpose is solely for sport touring, mostly loaded with luggage and the wife :) I would not swap out the flywheel, the extra mass is helpful

1 - 6 of 6 Posts