Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,. Question here. I lost the only black key I got from my bike so now I have to use my red one. So I planned to order two new once from the dealer. Total sum 92 euro per key.
Then I was advised so go to a large locksmiths store.. they would be able to do it too.

So I checked and they say they can. Costs 50 euro per key. So I told my dealer I would get them somewhere else. By he warned me about it.. that it might wreck my computer. Could this be true.?

Anyone any experience. The locksmith did seem to know what he was talking about. What chip to put in and stuff. Ofcourse the key doesn't have the Ducati logo but it looks similar.

Ducati charges 32 for the key itself, 10 for cutting it (externally) and 50 for programming.

Now ofcourse the cutting shouldn't bcost 10 euro at all. And the key shouldn't be 32 either. A key costs euros but not more then 10. So to me it sounds plausible.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I believe the red key is used to program additional black keys.
You don't really want "another red key", so make sure this is not what they're going to reproduce for you.

Read your manual. It should cover the red-key-procedure. Download a manual if you don't have one.

I believe the black keys get programmed right on the bike, using the key-hole.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Stick is right on that
With the red key you reprogramme black keys.
As as alternative you can ask your locksmith for a SILCA KW17T5 Key.
Much cheaper and exactly the same as the Ducati's ( of course it's not stamped with a Ducati logo)
The chip is included in that key.
I have one as an extra spare for my bike.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Stick is right on that
With the red key you reprogramme black keys.
As as alternative you can ask your locksmith for a SILCA KW17T5 Key.
Much cheaper and exactly the same as the Ducati's ( of course it's not stamped with a Ducati logo)
The chip is included in that key.
I have one as an extra spare for my bike.

Hope this helps
Yes, this is so. I ordered an extra black key off eBay and used the red key to associate that key with my ECU... it's easy.

I am curious though... is there any actual programming of a blank key that has to be done? I bought one advertised as a Ducati key, and wonder if there's some Ducati-specific info that's loaded into the key chip that identifies it as a Ducati key to the ECU. I mean, is it different than a "blank" or "virgin" key (i.e. SILCA KW17T5 blank)? Anything branded "Ducati" generally costs more than the same item for, let's say, a Hyundai compact car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts