1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2007 ST3
http://luannsplace.com/James/Motorcycles/ST3/ST3.html

that had about 2,360 miles on it.
After getting it home (a 1260+ mile trip) I started reviewing the owner's manual.
On page 12 it says”

“3) Immobilizer IMMO indicator (amber).
This light stays on steady when a wrong or unknown key
code is detected and blinks when an indication from the
immobilizer system has been reset through the override
procedure that uses the twistgrip (see page 26).”.

If I understand what this means then my ‘immobilizer system has been reset through the override procedure that uses the twistgrip’ because the light blinks (when ignition is off and the key is NOT in the ignition switch) and has since I purchased it.

I at first thought it was supposed to blink to indicate that it was armed (much the same as some auto sound systems do to discourage thefts) but apparently, if I understand what I think the manual says, it needs to be put through the procedure described on page 26 of the manual.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
James

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
On the MY 02 & 03 ST4s, the immobilizer will blink for 48 hours after the igntion is turned off. That time period was shortened to 24 hours with the MY 04 and later ST series models.

Every time the ignition switch is turned on and off, a new 24 or 48 hour cycle is initiated. If you have ridden your 07-ST3 every day since purchasing it, the immobolizer will have been blinking continually. If you do not turn the ignition switch on for over 24 hours after last turning it off, it should stop blinking.

·
7,733 Posts
That light blinks regularly on my ST3, ie it never shuts off. I've had my instrument pod replaced twice, and it's done that from the second one on. The originanl one would stop blinking after 24 or 48 hrs, I forget which. I figure it was a function of the new pods as I was told they were upgraded, whatever that means. Perhaps the pod on your bike has been replaced, in which case the mileage showing would be from the time of replacement. That should be easy to check at the servicing dealer.

(You're on a Red Ducati now James, please lose the orange Shoei, thanks. :) )

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the prompt responses. I appreciate it.

Bill - It has been several days since the ignition switch was turned on and it still blinks.

stryder - The seller never mentioned replacing the instrument pod but perhaps it 'slipped' his mind. Apparently it is one that is supposed to blink.
I am supposed to get the title tomorrow (and he will then get the rest of the money) I'll ask him about it.

(The orange Shoei is left from my SV1000S http://luannsplace.com/James/SV-Web/SV1000S.html
It is REALLY comfortable but you are are right, it doesn't really blend with the ST. If you will PM me I will send you my address so that you will be able to send your donation to My New Helmet Fund (non tax deductible) :D
Thanks again
James
(PS My wife also agrees with you and picked up a can of red spray paint at WalMart but I asked her to put it back. I told her that I'm not going to paint a perfectly good helmet. Then we both looked for something that would match the helmet so we cold paint the bike.)

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
+1 on Bill's posting.

·
7,733 Posts
(The orange Shoei is left from my SV1000S http://luannsplace.com/James/SV-Web/SV1000S.html
NICE Suzuk! I'd be interested in your comments on the differences bewteen the Ducat and the SV. :)

It is REALLY comfortable but you are are right, it doesn't really blend with the ST.
I was only kidding, wear what you like, BUT if you are getting a new one, I'd suggest white or my fave, pearl white if you can find it. Goes with anything. :)

If you will PM me I will send you my address so that you will be able to send your donation...
I just gave you a tip on colour, I'll consider that my donation. LOL!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
NICE Suzuk! I'd be interested in your comments on the differences bewteen the Ducat and the SV. :)
I bought the SV new in 2003.
I am 61+ and got my first motorcycle in 1967. In the last 42 years I've had many bikes, singles, twins, triples, and fours (inline and V). At this point (and I've only ridden the ST about 40 miles) the SV is by far the most fun street bike I have ever owned or ridden. The DR-Z400SM is a hoot but it's the smallest strictly street bike I've owned since 1967 and it just doesn't have the 'umph' of a big bore.

Shortly after I sold the SV I started missing it and began to look for a replacement. Around here you can get a really good price on a B-King but I think they are ugly and after the SV too heavy for my tastes. I located a new, 0 mile 2007 SV1000S about 90 minutes away. It was offered to me for $6,500 OTD (minus tax). I was convinced that it was what I had been looking for and took the money out of the bank to go get it. On a whim I looked at CraigsList in the Chicago area (my son lives in Chicago) and the ST had just been listed. He also had it on e-bay. I had been wanting a Ducati for several years and he offered it to me at a really good price and I bought it.

As I said I have only ridden the ST for about 40 miles so I can't offer much at this time. However there are a few things that are apparent to me.
The SV is quite a bit lighter than the ST. (The 2007 SV is even lighter than my 2003 SV).
The SV definitely has more noticeable bottom end than the ST.
The front brake on the SV seems to provide more feedback than the ST. The ST lever feels 'mushy'. (I will change the fluid and vacum bleed all the lines when time permits. Hopefully that will help the 'feel'.)
The ST is far more comfortable in seating (even with the Suzuki gel seat) than the SV.
The ST bars are in a far more comfortable position than the SV. It only took a few miles to notice that.
The ST peg position is more comfortable than the 2003 SV. (The peg position was changed on the 2007 SVto address that issue.)
The ST suspension is superior to that of the SV.
The ST has far better in wind protection.
The ST's ability to use the quick detach hard bags is a nice feature.
To me the SV is an attractive bike but the ST is a georgous bike.

Only time will tell how the ST measures up to the SV in dependability but it has a tough act to follow. Years ago we had our own bike shop and at one time I was a factory certified BMW & Suzuki mechanic so I always do all of my own work. The valve maintenance schedule for the SV is not as stringent as on the ST and of course it doesn't have the cam drive belt issue to address. Simple parts like oil filters are also more realistically priced (apparently as are all parts) but I guess that's just part of the Ducatisti experience.

With the money than I spent on the difference between the 2007 new SV I was offered and the ST I could have changed the suspension, added the lower fairing, added hard bags and added heli bars to the 2007 SV and it would have addressed those deficiencies, but it still would not have been a Ducati.

I doubt that I will attempt to get more power from the ST as that gets pretty pricey. I'll just change my riding style to accommodate the ST (sort of like the old 'if you're not with the one you love then love the one your with' mindset).

In '99 I bought a new Kawasaki Concours and put quite a few miles on it. It was a great bike but WAY too heavy. The ST reminds me of the riding position and feel of the Concours but much more agile. Sort of like a cross between the Concours and the SV.

Anyway, it's supposed to warm up Wednesday and I've already put in for a riding pass so maybe I'll get a little 'bonding time' with the ST.

Thanks again for the input on the blinking light. I spoke with the man I bought the ST from, who bought it new and he said that it has always done that and he always used a battery tender (as do I).

James
PS My wife reminded me that I do have a red helmet. :yeah:

·
7,733 Posts
I bought the SV new in 2003.
I am 61+ ...
OMG!!... :) Yes, well, ahem, ST's do seem to attract the "mature" rider. ;)

Around here you can get a really good price on a B-King but I think they are ugly...
That's why you can get a good price on them.

...However there are a few things that are apparent to me.
The SV is quite a bit lighter than the ST. (The 2007 SV is even lighter than my 2003 SV)
The SV definitely has more noticeable bottom end than the ST.
The front brake on the SV seems to provide more feedback than the ST. The ST lever feels 'mushy'. (I will change the fluid and vacum bleed all the lines when time permits. Hopefully that will help the 'feel'.)
Yes, the lever should not feel mushy. A good bleeding should help restore the firmness/feel.
The ST is far more comfortable in seating (even with the Suzuki gel seat) than the SV.
The ST bars are in a far more comfortable position than the SV. It only took a few miles to notice that.
The ST peg position is more comfortable than the 2003 SV. (The peg position was changed on the 2007 SVto address that issue.)
The ST suspension is superior to that of the SV.
That surprises me. The basic ST gets knocked for poor suspension, well, it's not an S, so for it to have better suspension than a Suzuki sport bike informs me that yes, it's not all *that* bad, but upgrading is well worth the money.
The ST has far better in wind protection.
I find the ST's wind protection is pretty good, but the wind "management" is the best I've had, ie I have the stock screen that provides a very smooth blast of air around my neck area, no buffeting, and the wind noise is also less than some other full fairing bikes I've had.
The ST's ability to use the quick detach hard bags is a nice feature.
Mine are always on. I find them very useful.
To me the SV is an attractive bike but the ST is a georgous bike.
Yes, the ST is a gorgeous bike, but I think that also has something to do with the name on the side as much as the design. ;) I've always thought the SV 1000 was a very nice looking bike, and it's been on my "list" of acceptable bikes for a long time, so I appreciate your comments.

Only time will tell how the ST measures up to the SV in dependability but it has a tough act to follow.
I have found my ST's reliability to be no less than anything else I've owned. In fact, I'd say it's the best I've had. The bike has not nickled and dimed me like the Japanese bikes I've had, it seemed I was at the dealership at least once a month for some small part or another, nor has it so far sufferred a major issue like the BMW I have, which runs well for long periods of time and and then needs a shit load of money to keep it up.
Years ago we had our own bike shop and at one time I was a factory certified BMW & Suzuki mechanic so I always do all of my own work.
You're going to save a bundle on service that's for sure.
The valve maintenance schedule for the SV is not as stringent as on the ST..
No, it's not desmodromic which has twice the shims per valve. Most long term owners will say the shim servicing intervals extend naturally over time as the collets get hammered down. Some have added the Martin Brickwood Products "square" collets, which are said to extend shim service to 18K miles or more.
...and of course it doesn't have the cam drive belt issue to address. Simple parts like oil filters are also more realistically priced (apparently as are all parts) but I guess that's just part of the Ducatisti experience.
I have not yet found the cost of parts to be excessive re maintenance items. Nor have I had to wait long periods of time to get them from Italy, though I think others have. :) And, you are right: it is part of the Ducati experience. Too many Ducati buyers are interlopers IMO, not really ready to commit to the brand, and if or when the bike starts needing some attention, they are quick to sell it or carry on about what a POS it is. Those "owners" were only experimenting, and were not *ready* for a Ducati. It sounds like you are, and therefore chances are you will enjoy the ownership experience immensely.

With the money than I spent on the difference between the 2007 new SV I was offered and the ST I could have changed the suspension, added the lower fairing, added hard bags and added heli bars to the 2007 SV and it would have addressed those deficiencies, but it still would not have been a Ducati.
Exactly. Pride of ownership is something few bikes can deliver for people who like me, and perhaps you, want that intangible "something more" from their bikes, and Ducati is one that delivers those intangibles for sure.

I doubt that I will attempt to get more power from the ST as that gets pretty pricey. I'll just change my riding style to accommodate the ST (sort of like the old 'if you're not with the one you love then love the one your with' mindset).
More statements that confirm you were "ready" for a Ducati, and you got one of the best, ever. ;)

PS My wife reminded me that I do have a red helmet.
OMG! You're not going to wear *that* thing are you?! LOL!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts