Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I came across a ST3 (non s) for sale by a neightbor the other day. I was looking for a bike for modest travel (200-400 mile long weekend trips) primarily two up about 325 lbs total. I have a Duc play bike which I thoroughly enjoy and am familiar with the Duc maintenance drill. I was going to wait until fall (Texas) as our comfortable season is ending. We're about to hit the 100+ with humidity season.

I didnt think the ST3 was in my target zone, as i was more inclined to think ST4s with the upgraded components that come with it.

The owner was a good one who obviously took care of his bikes and had a garage full of fairly late model BMW's, Harleys, etc. He had a shoulder problem and appeared to be giving up riding.

The ST3 was in pretty nice shape, only issue was a tip over which caused some scratches on fairing and mirror.

As far as options all i saw was risers. Most components were stock ie., stock exhaust, stock saddle, etc.

I know I can't take it to a ST4 level, can I get close? I get that it will be "some" power down, thinking more of suspension! More specifically switching between 1-up and 2-up.

Are there must have option and mods (wiring, headlights)?

It is a 2006 model year.

Pretty bike, better in person than in photo's.

Thoughts, advice?

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
I have the S but I did once rent a standard 3 while on vacation. With the wife and I the stock rear shock was not very good. It was ok for touring but very marginal when the pace picked up. For me by myself it was good enough for sport riding. That was really the only weak link I felt would need fixing. The 3 is a great bike and is plenty fast enough for most people.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think that speaks to my concern, the suspension may not be adequate. The motor is a ducati, I'm sure enough power. I'm a little concerned the 3 valve is an orphan, not like the 996, which was made in large quantities. I normally put a set of carbon cans on my bikes, but then again for a travel bike it may be nice to be quieter. Saddle is an easy replace, but the stock saddle looked pretty good.

What would you suggest regarding suspension?

bob

I have the S but I did once rent a standard 3 while on vacation. With the wife and I the stock rear shock was not very good. It was ok for touring but very marginal when the pace picked up. For me by myself it was good enough for sport riding. That was really the only weak link I felt would need fixing. The 3 is a great bike and is plenty fast enough for most people.

·
19,081 Posts
The possibilities are nearly endless for suspension goodies. Do a search on this forum and start reading. It's been discussed a lot. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Do the math: ST3 + excellent suspension ($2K)/good suspension ($1K) < ST4S

I bought an '04 ST3 with only 3K miles on it last year because I practically stole it. I was looking for a 4S or a Sprint ST but have been pleasantly surprised by the 3-valve motor. It doesn't have the top end hit of the 4-valve but it's got a ton of grunt down low and in the mid-range which makes it great for 2-up. Your not going to win any drag races but it squirts out of corners with gusto, power wheelies with stock gearing, and in 6th gear it pulls stronger than my S4RS going from 60-80mph. The rear shock and lack of compression/rebound adjustment on the forks are the only downfall of the bike. The stock seat is very good.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Do the math: ST3 + excellent suspension ($2K)/good suspension ($1K) < ST4S.
It a clean 06. He's asking just over $7k, but has suggested there is some room for discussion on pricing.

I'm thinking the bike as it stands is not the right one. When I add bags, fuel and 2 riders I'm adding 400 lbs. to the chassis.

Big spring, better shock. With an " s", it's probably just a spring.

Bob

·
19,081 Posts
The shock that comes on the S is really nice. The remote spring preload adjuster makes it so nice for quickly and easily going from single rider to two up with bags loaded. This feature alone is worth the added cost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts