Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 ST3 with a fuel gauge that is intermittently working. The check engine light goes on and the fuel gauge shows empty with the empty light on.

I have been able to determine that the ECU and instrument gauge is working fine. If yo place a 10k to 100k potentiometer onto the two wires (4.5V white and black) and adjust it the fuel gauge works perfectly.

I have changed the fuel sensor and frankly when I removed the old one it appeared to be working fine. Mine is a plastic tube and when you put an ohm meter on the fuel level sensor (after removing it from the tank) you can get the readings when moving it to cause the float to move to read from 10k to 100k. Higher resistance corresponds to showing more fuel.

At first I thought that the clips which were attached to the fuel level sensor might have been corroded, however I cut them off and hardwired and soldered and insulated them with electrical shrink tubing. (BTW, FYI, gas doesn't conduct electricity which is why these open design clips are in there in the first place. ) No change in performance of the gauge.

Next I attached the connector by tightening the contacts. This did nothing. I also frayed the insulation off of the fuel level sensor side of the connector to measure the resistance coming to the connector, bypassing the connector itself. It read just like it read when I tested it thru the connector pins, infinity ohms.

Therefore, at this point I believe that the problem could only be one of two problems. First, the fuel level sensor float somehow gets stuck at the bottom and doesn't float. This is very hard to figure out and since I replace the fuel level sensor I have my doubts that this could be the problem. But it might be. Second, and the only thing that is left, is the thru connector that contains the wiring for both the fuel level sensor and the fuel pump. I am in the process of purchasing one and plan to remove the flange again, and see what happens next.

As you can see, this is driving me nuts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suffered the same experience you did. I also bought a new fuel sensor and put it in and it was defective!. I wound up buying all of the parts with the exception of the fuel pump, replaced them all and its been working great for a few years. I spent an enormous amount of time trying to diagnose the problem and in the end replacing all the parts worked. And getting that flange back into the tank required my making some special bolt extenders and spacers to help edge it in equally. Huge pain but I'm an expert on addressing this.

Recently I heard a whine from my fuel pump and hoping that it will go away as it is quite a job to deal with the insides of the tank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts