Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not happy with the braking performance of my 2004 ST3. It already has Braking Wave Rotors (From the previous owner) and Ferodo ST pads. Before this ST3, I had a 2004 999 monoposto and its brakes were the best that I have experienced. Incredible bite and one finger was all the pressure required to slow down quickly. Is it possible to mount 999 front calibers on my ST3? If not, would anyone have any other recommendations on how to improve my ST3's braking?

·
Registered
201 Posts
The brakes you mentioned on your 999 would have to be replicated on the ST
You would need to use the rotors/pads/calipers/master cylinder/brake lever

Only then will you be able to achieve something close to the brakes you describe
It's more than just the calipers

The master cylinder has alot to do with brake efficiency and can change the way a system feels and operates

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Both my ST4s and 1995 916 have 4 Pad Brembo calipers like the 999 had. I sourced mine from early Aprilia RSV 1000 because I liked that the gold color matched the rotor carriers and they were much cheaper than parts listed for Ducati. You will need different lines, not for length but for the banjo orientation at the caliper end.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'd look at rotors first.

Wavy disc brakes rotors arguably prevent brake fade because they dissipate heat better. However, Non-wavy have more stopping power, but fade faster under heavy use.
OEM Ducati stainless steel rotors will improve your braking.

Better still, replace the wave rotors with cast iron rotors that have a higher coefficient of friction and better heat dissipation. I recommend the BrakeTech AXIS full-floating ductile iron rotors that will also save about two pounds of rotating, unsprung weight to give you improved performance and handling.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Knew I had a pic somewhere. I used two lines. It was easier to source them that way.

IMG_3476 (2017_09_11 12_03_59 UTC).JPG IMG_3475 (2017_09_11 12_03_59 UTC).JPG

The 4 pads are a nice improvement. The idea of the 4 smaller pads was to provide even pad application to the rotor because of the huge brace in the middle of the caliper that prevents flex, more pad leading edge, and better heat dissipation. Many things contribute to breaking performance, including a simple pad change, but these particular calipers are about as good as you can get for axial mount consumer grade parts. You can grab a set of these used pretty cheap f you look around.
Aprilia RSV 1000 Mille & Tuono 1000 Brembo Front Wheel Right Disc Brake Caliper | eBay
Aprilia RSV 1000 Mille & Tuono 1000 Brembo Front Wheel Left Disc Brake Caliper | eBay

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Knew I had a pic somewhere. I used two lines. It was easier to source them that way.

View attachment 990661 View attachment 990662

The 4 pads are a nice improvement. The idea of the 4 smaller pads was to provide even pad application to the rotor because of the huge brace in the middle of the caliper that prevents flex, more pad leading edge, and better heat dissipation. Many things contribute to breaking performance, including a simple pad change, but these particular calipers are about as good as you can get for axial mount consumer grade parts. You can grab a set of these used pretty cheap f you look around.
Aprilia RSV 1000 Mille & Tuono 1000 Brembo Front Wheel Right Disc Brake Caliper | eBay
Aprilia RSV 1000 Mille & Tuono 1000 Brembo Front Wheel Left Disc Brake Caliper | eBay
These look very interesting. What kind of master cylinders are you using with them? A picture would be great!

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Standard Brembo goldline that came on the 916 series. Nothing fancy. It is the same master that comes on the first gen ST with remote reservoir. I would have used the OEM master, but it was leaking. I added a bleeder bolt, which is nice to have up that high in the stream The rotors on there now are OEM 998 “star” rotors, but I did have the OEM snowflakes that came on the ST4s and 996. Both were fine.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Standard Brembo goldline that came on the 916 series. Nothing fancy. It is the same master that comes on the first gen ST with remote reservoir. I would have used the OEM master, but it was leaking. I added a bleeder bolt, which is nice to have up that high in the stream The rotors on there now are OEM 998 “star” rotors, but I did have the OEM snowflakes that came on the ST4s and 996. Both were fine.
Thank you for your suggestions. I have been researching and purchasing items to complete this front brake upgrade. I have what I need except for the brake lines. Where did you end up purchasing the brake lines for your setup?

·
Premium Member
4,269 Posts
2 things

1 if you did not install the pads or rotors remove the pads and break the glaze first then re-bed them in if they were glazed you will have less power.

2. you are carrying a good +50lbs of weight so on a good day with equal brakes you will not have as good a braking effect due to the weight.

The galfers should have at least as much friction as oem brembos and your master should be equal to a 998 so those likewise should be up to the task. I would try deglazing first and if it does not help try a different set of pads like Dp sport or racing.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Thank you for your suggestions. I have been researching and purchasing items to complete this front brake upgrade. I have what I need except for the brake lines. Where did you end up purchasing the brake lines for your setup?
I ended up just getting the pair off eBay. They were Galfers (I think) listed for one of the big four rockets, maybe Suzuki GSXR of some vintage. I got them because the length was about right and with the aftermarket banjos you can index them to fit your set up. Both banjos are straight, no angles. ST3 series uses different length lines then my ST4, so you'd just need to measure and find or order what you need.

The 916 was much easier. I have newer 65mm caliper mount forks on it. With the 4P calipers and a 996 style master, I just got a set of OEM lines for a 996R. Easy, bolt on, done.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up just getting the pair off eBay. They were Galfers (I think) listed for one of the big four rockets, maybe Suzuki GSXR of some vintage. I got them because the length was about right and with the aftermarket banjos you can index them to fit your set up. Both banjos are straight, no angles. ST3 series uses different length lines then my ST4, so you'd just need to measure and find or order what you need.

The 916 was much easier. I have newer 65mm caliper mount forks on it. With the 4P calipers and a 996 style master, I just got a set of OEM lines for a 996R. Easy, bolt on, done.
I ended up ordering a Goodridge "Buildaline" brake line setup where you buy a specific length of hose with universal ends and then purchase the appropriate banjo ends. An eloquent solution that should work well. Now I just have to wait until all of the pieces arrive and then assemble them. I can't wait!

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
If you happen to run into the same issue I did where you need thicker banjo washers, here is where you can get what you need.

If you bought new lines, they may come with everything you need. The lines I bought were just the lines. No bolts or washers. Brembo uses 10mm banjos, it seems everyone else uses 8mm. I figured I could just use the thin Brembo copper washers I keep on hand. Nope, not unless I wanted to stack them. I picked up a pack of the 2mm washer linked above. Problem solved.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finally got the 999 Bremo Monobroc calipers and Goodridge universal brake lines installed. What a difference! They are SO much more powerful than the stock calipers. The one thing I noticed after the new pads were worn in was that upon heavy braking the front end seemed to bounce. I am larger than average and I know the the stock fork springs are too weak. The new brakes makes that pretty obvious! I am also working on a front fork upgrade as well with HyperPro progressive springs that will hopefully take care of this bouncing.

·
Registered
'02 ST4S
1,443 Posts
You might want to install a set of Racetec gold valves in the forks with those new springs. Suspension upgrades=best bang for your $.

·
Registered
7,011 Posts
Nobody mentioned it so I assume ythe ST3 has stainless braided lines ? Also I assume the pads are highly regarded, no one mentioned there are pads with better bite.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, it has stainless braided lines from Goodridge as they needed to be longer than stock as I have Helibars and the stock lines were stretched to the max. I used Ferodo ST pads.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts