Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 ST3 with the dp performance pipe kit on. I had it put on the dyno today to see a map ot it. It maps out pretty good but there is room for improvement. I was wondering if there is away to change the map without having to add on something like a power commander. On the new pipe kits they come with a new computer and not a chip. BTW the hp was 102 at 8181 rpm and 74lbs torque at 6287 rpm.

thanks for your suggestions in advance
Bruce

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I didn't get back sooner, but with it really being winter here now I haven't been reading the list.
That dyno was after the dp perforance kit.
Bruce

·
7,733 Posts
By the kit I'm guessing you mean the pipes, the new ecu, *and* the open air box with gauze filter. AFAIK, a PCIII is the only way to tweak a MM 5.9 ecu across the rev range. I'd love to see the chart if you can post it, thanks.

·
Registered
887 Posts
bjclay said:
I have a 05 ST3 with the dp performance pipe kit on. I had it put on the dyno today to see a map ot it. It maps out pretty good but there is room for improvement. I was wondering if there is away to change the map without having to add on something like a power commander. On the new pipe kits they come with a new computer and not a chip. BTW the hp was 102 at 8181 rpm and 74lbs torque at 6287 rpm.
Those are really nice numbers for an ST3 with a performance kit. If they are accurate dyno numbers I don't think you will get much more out of her without doing engine work. You can only get more power from a fuel injection kit if the mapping is not already good. Brad at MotoOne has spent time optimizing a ST3 when new and later after it was run-in. Your peak hp matches his best runs and your peak torque betters his best by a considerable margin. And that's after he played around with the cam timing and fuel mixtures, including DP performance kit. The fact is, the DP kit doesn't add much to the top end and only a bit to the midrange (once it is dialed in perfectly). The ST3 is fairly well mapped from the factory but the top end performance is limited by lack of valve area.

You can check out his experiences here:
http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/st3base.html
and here:
http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/st3camtimingtechlusion.html

·
Registered
403 Posts
Mike said:
Those are really nice numbers for an ST3 with a performance kit. If they are accurate dyno numbers I don't think you will get much more out of her without doing engine work. You can only get more power from a fuel injection kit if the mapping is not already good. Brad at MotoOne has spent time optimizing a ST3 when new and later after it was run-in. Your peak hp matches his best runs and your peak torque betters his best by a considerable margin. And that's after he played around with the cam timing and fuel mixtures, including DP performance kit. The fact is, the DP kit doesn't add much to the top end and only a bit to the midrange (once it is dialed in perfectly). The ST3 is fairly well mapped from the factory but the top end performance is limited by lack of valve area.

You can check out his experiences here:
http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/st3base.html
and here:
http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/st3camtimingtechlusion.html

The difference can be due to dynamometers as well.

·
Registered
887 Posts
TZ250 said:
The difference can be due to dynamometers as well.
Of course. That's why I qualified my statement with "If they are accurate dyno numbers".

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had it done by some one who has the new dyno tuning centers for what ever that means. I don't have away t get the chart in a message but could fax it to someone if they could post it. The man who ran the machine said it looked good and that it was slightly rich from 3000 to 5000 rpm and then was right on from 5500 to 7500 then alittle lean to it kicked out. It is a fairly flat line.
Bruce

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
My dyno results

ST3s - 2006 model 10 months old 9000 ks (5600 mi), fitted with Staintunes (sound tubes removed) plus K & N air filter..

Max HP 106.5 (79.4 kw) @ 9200
Max torque 95.8 n-m (70.7 pounds-feet) @ 7300

·
7,733 Posts
Nice curves

BAZ_777 said:
My dyno results

ST3s - 2006 model 10 months old 9000 ks (5600 mi), fitted with Staintunes (sound tubes removed) plus K & N air filter..

Max HP 106.5 (79.4 kw) @ 9200
Max torque 95.8 n-m (70.7 pounds-feet) @ 7300

The HP seems to climb *right* to "red line." Any coughing, "carb farts" when rolling-on? That chart makes me want to spend money I don't have on performance rather than on touring damn it!

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
stryder, power delivery is smooth, although sometimes there was a little "popping" on decelleration at lower (<4000) revs.

This was fixed at 10,000 k (6000 mi) service by mechanic somehow.

I'm up to 12,750 ks (7,900 mi) now and all is great - just did a 2,500 trip to the Superbike races at Phillip Island in Australia, across mountainous terrain, no prpblems at all.

The Staintunes without their soundtubes sound great, but are a little loud without ear plugs. Not as loud as most Harleys tho....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts