Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a 2005 ST3, UK model.

I'm getting clunky gear changes, trouble finding neutral, and the occasional false neutral so I decided to take a look at the clutch. I took all the plates out to see if the basket fingers were notched, and holding on to the plates when the clutch was released. Then I made a beginners mistake and muddled up the plates (in my defence I was showing my 12y.o. how the clutch worked!). I have downloaded the ST3 factory workshop manual and this shows a different clutch (and side cover) to mine.

I have 5 clutch springs, 11 friction plates, and 10 driven plates, of which 4 are thick and 6 are thin. The inner most friction plate has a larger internal diameter to allow for two dished washers. Overall they match this picture: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281785115809, not the photos of most ST3 clutches on ebay. FWIW the factory manual shows a clutch with 6 springs, 9 driven plates and 7 friction plates.

I also have STST3_Eu_2005.pdf, the spare parts catalogue, and this *does* show my clutch.

Can anyone tell me the order for the plates in this clutch design?
Or better still, which model workshop manual to download?

Many thanks!

Matt.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
Your primary issue seems to be you've mistaken your newer wet clutch bike for the older, more problematic, dry clutch bikes that are so well documented here. Dry clutch bikes are the ones where baskets notch and plate tabs wear. Your wet clutch would have the oil's dampening effect to keep that from happening. Can't help you with the stack order, but if you download a manual for the correct bike, it will have the stuff you need. try here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5V3CDgwlc98enZJekZ2dWxsZUk

What I may be able to help with is pointing you in the right direction given the symptoms you describe. Clunky gear changes and hard to find neutral are typically an actuation issue. Air in the lines, failing clutch slave or failing clutch master. Start by flushing and bleeding your clutch fluid. If that doesn't do it, the next most likely component is the clutch slave. Less likely, but still possible is the clutch master. A good flush and getting ALL the air out of the line is definitely the first step.

Reactions: Zoomie

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for the pointers. Yes its definitely a wet clutch. I could just feel the pattern on the basket fingers, with a fingernail, but they're not serious.

Following that link, I get to an ST3 folder which has Ducati ST3 - 2004 Service Manual.pdf, the same manual I already downloaded, describing (what I now understand is) the dry clutch. Is there a revised 2005 edition anywhere? I couldn't find it.

As for the problem, yes, I dived right in and ignored the obvious :). Should have flushed the fluid through. I'll do that as soon as I have the clutch back in.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,252 Posts
There is a service manual addendum for the 2005 model. I have a hard copy of it, but no way to digitize it. I'll take a picture of the clutch stack info and post it in a little while. Hopefully, that will help.

I've also found that the transmission is very picky with oil. I won't use some brands anymore because it shifted poorly with them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool. Thanks a lot!
Just in time for a sunny Sunday afternoon putting it all back together.
*Then* a thorough bleed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did a bit of research following on from that Ebay link I posted. The clutch plates are part number 19020131A. The ebay listing says "DUCATI 848 MULTISTRADA ST3 ST4 GT1000" so I found an 848 workshop manual online which has exactly the same diagrams and details as Yorik posted in the scanned addendum for the ST3 manuel.
Just posting this so people can find the resources online if needs be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts