Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm about 4,000 miles into my new to me 04 ST3, and I'm not sure if it's a keeper. I need suggestions on a few things.

First this is bike #27 for me, and I currently have a 04 800ss with 65k on her, so I like to ride miles! I also had a 07 multi.

So I bought the ST because my girlfriend wanted something a little more comfortable for touring on.
This bike fits the comfort factor for us perfectly, however the wind noise in my helmet is incredible loud.

It came with the zero gravity double bubble and then I replaced it with stock shield and I see no difference. We have a very hard time communicating through our Scala rider intercom system, however when on the SS we can hear each other just fine.

The sil moto pipes are way to loud, as well as the dry clutch. So with these three factors the bike is a little disappointing for two up sport touring.

If I could solve the wind noise issues I think we could make it work. Anybody with us some of these issues and have solve them?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well aren't you cute. My `04 ST4S has the same fairing. First, I don't know HJC helmets except they are "to a price". You may find quieter helmets out there. Also, does your helmet fit properly? For years I wore a size too large helmet, never could hear a damn thing. Same bike one size down helmet, looky there. I have an Arai Signet, not especially quiet, but every little thing combines to get what you need unless you just go to a barn door fairing, and I ain't playin' that. So helmet first. Then, try a Wunderlich windstopper (?), it's a small windshield, bolts to the top of your ST windshield, removeable. This can help a lot. Also, MRA makes a replacement windshield vent at the top that adjusts airflow enough so you can hear. Then Google Australian Windshields, there's an Australian company that makes higher windshields. And if you don't now, wear good foam earplugs, cuts down on wind noise so you can hear the good stuff.

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Oh yeah, just saw an ad on this site for a Laminar Lip. Fugly as all hell but works

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
Search quiet clutch mod. The rattle is just bad engineering. Getting rid of it saves the basket and pack from hammering itself to death.

+2 on the earplugs. You'll hear the headset better with them also.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi Jim, I'm a big fan of earplugs on any ride longer than 10 miles. But I see that you're also using an intercom system so maybe that's not an option for you. I would suggest also that each helmet is going to have slightly different aerodynamic acoustics affected by where the windshield is directing flow. If you haven't adjusted your face shield mounting screws on the side to minimize the wind gaps I'd start there. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
Never owned a bike that didn't involve wind noise, although all my bikes have been either naked or sport oriented. I've never owned or ridden a bike with a "big windscreen". Been through a few helmets that had varying degrees of noise, but I feel you are probably aware of that since you are not new to riding given the number of bikes you have indicated owning. I've owned a 2001 900SSie, so I can relate to the 04 800SS you list. I have to say my first gen ST and the 916 are pretty comparable to the 900SSie I had in regards to wind noise and blast as I have them currently set up. Not sure what's going on with the ST3 for you.

That being said, I have experimented with screens on the 916 and the ST. I have tried two different double bubble screens on the 916 and found I didn't like where it put the wind, which was right in the face or neck for me. I prefer it on my upper torso. The OEM screen is perfect in form and function for me on that bike. Same can sort of be said of the ST. I had the original screen on it for short time before going to a ZG screen that was a bit lower and with a much more rounded profile. Loved it but it was dark smoke which I am not a fan of. On a whim decided to go back to the OEM screen. Didn't like it for the same reason I didn't like the DB screens on the 916. I didn't put the ZG screen back on the ST, but did install a Ducati Performance "low" screen for the ST, which is basically the same profile as the standard screen, just a bit lower. Works well for me and I prefer the OEM look.

What I am getting at is maybe instead of going higher, or even OEM on the ST3 (the ST3 OEM screen looks pretty high to me), maybe find a screen that is lower. The standard height Zero Gravity screen look lower to me than OEM. Maybe grab a scraped OEM screen on eBay and try cutting it to see what works.

I always use ear plugs. I do not have an intercom system, so I have no need to worry about that factor. I did just start using Bluetooth ear buds, however. I found a set that are completely wireless and fit flush in my ears. I can slip my helmet over them easily. They work fine to block wind noise and I can have music and or GPS from my phone as I like. Just did a roughly 300 mile day with them in and they were perfect.

Reactions: tonered

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
If you aren't having head buffeting problem (sore neck, etc.) I would contact Cardo to discuss your problem with their intercom. Noise cancelling is your solution, but it may take another product.

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
Just in case it was missed from my post above, intercoms work better with earplugs. ;)

I have had good luck with the $20 chinese / ebay windscreen that I bought about 18mo ago. It is low like the ZG SR screens, so good airflow and low turbulence.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Just in case it was missed from my post above, intercoms work better with earplugs. ;)
Before decent active noise cancelling, it was common to use ear plugs to add additional attenuation, allowing the headset volume to be increased to improve the S/N ratio. Not so anymore. They are simply not needed with a good active set. Except for musician grade ear plugs, the distorted attenuation band of typical disposable earplugs reduces the clarity of the signal.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
What good active set? I'm not aware of any intercom systems with helmet mounted speakers that feature noise cancellation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
Yeah. You'd think for active NC on a helmet mounted speaker to be effective, they'd have to be over the ear or ear buds. It would take one heck of a driver to produce a strong enough out of phase signal to cancel the wind noise at speed! I have no idea what helmet speaker systems offer, so I am just speculating.

My in ear wireless buds are supposed to offer noise cancellation, but I think they are just noise suppression. They definitely didn't cost enough to be active NC. Work well though.

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
The only active NC system that I am aware of was part of a helmet concept that was discussed about a year ago. I am not buying a helmet based on its audio system, nor do I want to constantly have my helmet powered up.

My Sena SMH10B needs to be at about half volume at 70mph to hear voice and music just fine for the times that I need / want it. It isn't loud and my earplugs are comfortable. I charge it about once a month.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
I bought a Laminar Lip a few years ago and though it does not solve the problem completely, it does have a noticeable buffeting/wind noise effect. I find my self longin for it when I ride other bikes (with windscreens) long distance. Haven't tried my Sena with ear plugs yet. May be worth a try if Tonered vouches for he setup.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Re: exhaust noise. You said you have Sil motor's, but from your pic they look like Termi's?

Either way, if they don't have db killers/baffles, you could try adding those. Repacking should help, as well.

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
I bought a Laminar Lip a few years ago and though it does not solve the problem completely, it does have a noticeable buffeting/wind noise effect. I find my self longin for it when I ride other bikes (with windscreens) long distance. Haven't tried my Sena with ear plugs yet. May be worth a try if Tonered vouches for he setup.
Most definitely. Without earplugs, it is a shrill mess with a lot of washed out audio. With them in, the sound is nice and clear without being harsh.

Please let us know what you experience.

Have a good one.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
My son and I rode two up on my 04-ST4s with earplugs + helmet intercoms with no problems communicating. That bike did have stock mufflers.

If you decide to keep the bike, I would get a heavier rear spring. It will make a big difference when riding two up.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I use Alpine Motosport ear plugs, which are designed to allow voice/music and dampen wind noise. They are a bit pricey, but I use them with my intercom and I can hear music/voice and cuts down wind noise dramatically. Not perfect but works pretty well.

Scott L.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm 5"7" with a short torso, my ST3 has the OEM windshield. I have a really good full face helmet that fits well.

The aerodynamics on that bike are just about perfect for me. It's quiet, I get no buffeting.

My suggestion would be get rid of the intercom system. You are on a motorcycle. What do you need to be talking about?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the help.
Yes I/We wear ear plugs , and I have 4 different helmets, RPHS is my main but o also were an Arai, shoei and couple AGV. However the Hjc rphs is my two up helmet.

Wind noise is the same with all helmets.

I understand all bikes are noisy I've been riding for 35 years with a little over 500,000 miles and I've owned many bikes.

This one by far is the worst with wind noise.

Previous owner put termi stickers on sil Moto pipes for some strange reason, I've looked for db killers but can't seem to find some

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts