Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let the games begin!

I dropped into the dealer yesterday to see if what kind of deal I could get. I let him know what his competition was (FJR & VFR) and stated I would buy this weekend.

He made the first offer on his following inventory:

'05 ST4S (non ABS)
$14,995
minus $1,000
plus $420 for tax
plus $150 for T/T/L
plus $565 for F/P
minus $129 just because
OTD $15,000

'06 ST3S
$14,495
plus $435 for tax
plus $150 for T/T/L
plus $565 for F/P
minus $645 just because
OTD $15,000

'06 ST3
$12,495
plus $375 for tax
plus $150 for T/T/L
plus $565 for F/P
minus $535 just because
OTD $13,000

What should my counter offer be?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Which bike do you want? I think the best deal is gonig to be on the ST4s. I paid $14,250 OTD for a new non-ABS '04 ST4s in early '05, which included about $1,500 in goodies I ordered with the bike (Remus pipes, K&N filter, Cycle Cat vented clutch cover and pressure plate and heated grips, all installed. Now it's '06 and he should be able to do much better on the '05 as it is last years model. The only difference is the less desireable (to most) wet clutch. Don't let them give you a line about it being the last year of the ST4s and being collectable and all that. Although great bikes, the ST4s' were slow sellers (or look for an '04 model, they are out there). The ST3s would be my second choice but there have been some problems reported here on many of the '06 bikes. I've ridden the ST3 and it's a great bike, but the suspension upgrade of the "s" is definitely worth the money, IMO. You might have a harder time negotiating down an '06 bike though, especially the ST3s.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Duc-OT said:
Let the games begin!

I dropped into the dealer yesterday to see if what kind of deal I could get. I let him know what his competition was (FJR & VFR) and stated I would buy this weekend.

He made the first offer on his following inventory:

'05 ST4S (non ABS)
$14,995
minus $1,000
plus $420 for tax
plus $150 for T/T/L
plus $565 for F/P
minus $129 just because
OTD $15,000

'06 ST3S
$14,495
plus $435 for tax
plus $150 for T/T/L
plus $565 for F/P
minus $645 just because
OTD $15,000

'06 ST3
$12,495
plus $375 for tax
plus $150 for T/T/L
plus $565 for F/P
minus $535 just because
OTD $13,000

What should my counter offer be?
Ride the ST4 and the ST3s , buy the one that feels the best to you .... you probably wont do much on price if he is like most dealers , They don't care what the "competition " is. I rode both and went with the ST3s

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
If you are interested in he ST4s or the ST3 (not S) and are looking for the best deal, start looking used. ST do not resell very well, and low mileage used bikes are pretty common. Just as an example my dealer has an 05 ST3 with 2500 miles for $9600, thats about $3K less than the new bike. IMHO thats where the deal is gonna be. Also if you are gonna have to finance part of this beast, look at sources away from the dealer like a credit union, you can save more in financing charges than the dealer will discount off the top. Good luck.

·
Registered
392 Posts
As for financing, Ducati sometimes runs promo's. I financed part of mine at 4.9% through the dealer. No credit union would touch that. I agree with sv1150rs; ride them if you can but they are likely not all demo bikes. You'll definitely getter a much better price used, but maybe you don't want used. When I bought mine my dealer had a great deal on a used '03. It was very clean and I might have gone for it but I wanted the warranty that came with the new bike. Plus it was yellow and my wife said I was to old to ride a yellow bike.

·
Registered
87 Posts
sv1150rs said:
Ride the ST4 and the ST3s , buy the one that feels the best to you ....
Normally I'd say this is good advice, but if I purchased based on this, I'd be riding a ST3 right now. IMO, in stock form the ST3 rides way better than the ST4 because of the 4's high gearing , but once you change sprockets to match the ST3 gearing, there is no comparison. Low end performance is virtually the same, and the ST4 has a lot more at the high end.

·
Registered
623 Posts
butch said:
Just as an example my dealer has an 05 ST3 with 2500 miles for $9600, thats about $3K less than the new bike. IMHO thats where the deal is gonna be.
Just got a new '05 ST3 for $11,000. Either leftover or used the '05 is a great deal. And none of the '06 EFI problems.

kentamcolin said:
I financed part of mine at 4.9% through the dealer. No credit union would touch that.
My Credit Union gave me a better deal than Ducati - 4.25% I think.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Here's another benchmark:
My local dealer has one more ST4S leftover. Zero miles, so it's new, and you get the full 2 year warranty. It's that flat grey color. It's marked down to about $10K.

·
Registered
392 Posts
If it's a flat gray color must be an '03 right? It's a killer deal at $10K but if it is an '03 figure on a few mods right away. The seat is notoriously uncomfortable, the headlamp inadequate, and the bars far lower than the '04 and later bikes. If you're used to sportbikes then the ergos might be OK for you, but a DD headlight and aftermarket seat will set you back $800 - $1K. Bar risers another $300 or so. If you like the color it's still a great deal. I particularly like the analog gauge cluster on the earlier bikes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Define flat grey...mine is the Senna Gray with red wheels. I would call it more of a metallic like you see on cars. Not aware of any other gray, but I could be wrong. The Senna Gray is definitely available on the 04's, and thought you could still get it on an 05. I was told by the Ducati rep at the Cycle World show in Denver back in November, that for 06 ST's that color is only available in Europe (inquired since it was still shown on the Ducati website for the 06 ST's)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stop The Press

Negotiations are over!

Bike will be here in 7-10 days.

BREAK -- BREAK
Did I mention that the VFR and FJR were in the running?

Next transmission will be when bike arrives. At that point, I will turn in my login for either this site, the VFR site or the FJR site.

Going into LURKER status until then!

Over and Out.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Duc-OT said:
Negotiations are over!

Bike will be here in 7-10 days.

BREAK -- BREAK
Did I mention that the VFR and FJR were in the running?

Next transmission will be when bike arrives. At that point, I will turn in my login for either this site, the VFR site or the FJR site.

Going into LURKER status until then!

Over and Out.
Well, if it's 7 to 10 days, I vote for the FJR. ;)

Congrats on the new purchase. I'm sure you'll be happy no matter what the brand. All that is important is that you RIDE it.

-Bob

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
RE: Flat Gray...paint job looks like gray primer at a glance. I think the "dark" models are this color (749 Dark, Monster Dark, etc.).

And the paint "feels" unfinished. It's not like running your hand over a clear coated paint job. You can actually hear coarseness to the finish. I'd also guess that waxing it would screw it up...

·
Registered
319 Posts
the "flat" is what I have and is actually an eggshell clear coat. Called a matte finish and no they didn't come with the red wheels that was the sienna grey that came with the red wheels.

Instead of "unfinished" or "primered" I prefer to call it a "steath" finish, thank you.:)

·
Registered
87 Posts
So what year is that new bike, Stick. $10K for an '04 or later seemed too good to be true. From the color discussion, sounds like it may be an '03 or earlier. Would not have believed there were any new ones left from 3 model years ago if I had not heard it here.

BTW...my guess is a VFR. To get a new FJR meant you had to pre-order months ago, unless you can find one where someone is passing on taking delivery of their pre-order. At least that is the case in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I think it's a 2002. They also had a 2003 shiney grey, ABS w/ red wheels, but that one finally sold recently. Heck, a 996, with the color matched bags, 2 year warranty...

They also have a 998 FE that's marked down $2K
call them:
Hours:
Tues, Wed, Fri 9-6
Thurs 9-7
Sat 9-4
Closed Sundays and Mondays
http://www.wagnermotorsport.com/index.html

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ducati Op Is Now Declassified!

Ladies and gents,

Operation Ducati is officially declassed.

As a reminder, I was waivering between the FJR, VFR and an ST3/ST3S/ST4S.

The VFR came in on price point, but I just could not get over that hidieous fron end (it looked like a front end loader).

The JFR was real promising. I almost bought on last year, but got a Mazda Speed Miata instead (long story that involved my Chief Financial Officer). I went to the dealer to sit on an 06 he had on the floor. It was available and cheaper than the new Ducatis. Yamaha fixed the heat problem and seems to now own up to the valve problems, but they porked it out with another 50 lbs. But the deal breaker for me was the seat height. I'm 5 feet, 6.25 inches tall (depending on foot covers). Yam widened the seat way to much for this main frame.

So, off to PJ's Triumph Ducati (Alb, NM). I won't go into the financials here. That part of the Op is still classified NATO Top Secret here at the home front.
Plus, I too darn anxious to post the proof (pic say a 1,000 words).

Need to sign off and do a search on how to post pics!

Cheers for now,
Joe O.
AKA Duc-OT

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pics

Attached for you viewing pleasure!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts