Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
Joined
·
3,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up on the rear side panels besides the seat on the ST3.
Each attaches using a clip by the tank, a screw fastener into the mid section, and a screw in the upper rear.

The attaching point to watch for is the mid point where a small bolt goes through the frame, into a short hollow tube, then threads into a brass ferrell nut that is pressed into the side panel. This nut tends to crack the small and rather fragile insert.

In my case, when I got the bike the right side was broke clean off from the panel and never lined up with the bolt hole in the frame. Lots of diddling with epoxy and opening up the bracket hole that is attached to the frame made it workable again.

Tonight, after removing my antlers, I see that the other side, the plastic holding the ferrell is split and I could not back the bolt out. Removed other two bolt, fore and aft, then pulled the panel out leaving the ferrell on the nut.

Again, after removing the ferrell from the bolt, applied epoxy to the side panel area that holds the ferrell and built it up to give it a little more strength. This is one place I would have preferred a wellnut of some sort. For both sides to have failed pretty much says its a bad design.

The bad part is that since the front of the panel is held by a clip, if you have a broken mid point attachment, then the only thing holding the side panel is the top screw back by the tail light. I almost wish it was a pop off panel like on a car door panel. Too rigid of an attachment for something that can be leaned on or grabbed by the inexperienced.
 

·
Still needs a life.
Joined
·
12,545 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I believe the rear side panels and attachments you described have remained unchanged throughout the years for all of the ST models starting with the MY 98-ST2.
 

·
Beta Tester
Joined
·
1,957 Posts
here's what i did when those center attachments broke. i sawed off the outer leg on the fron clips, and drilled two small holes through the panel, and the inner leg of the front clip. i attached the panel to the clip with a zip tie through those two holes. it's been working for a couple of years now. hope this makes sense.





i have to unfasten that small bolt when removing the side panel because the panel is now attached to what was formerly just a clip.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top