Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Pulled fuel assembly all out again and all the hoses are still attached. I'm assuming the fuel is coming from a small hole found in the fuel pump. Found this thread- fuel pump spittging fuel out...... so it might be a bad air/fuel separator. Does that make sense?

I also pulled out the airbox, so I will probably put in new fuel lines, pull the injectors and see what's happening there. I don't want to replace the air separator only to have to pull everything apart again for the injectors. In searching, it seems the external fuel lines should be 8mm. I've been looking at fuel line and there are so many that I'm kind of lost making sense of it. So is this hose ok or is there something else to use? https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBGH344A?partTypeName=Fuel+Injection+Hose&keywordInput=high+pressure+fuel+hose

Question: Is it possible that because the injectors are clogged so it is building the pressure (fuel has no where to go) causing the fuel to come out that part? Therefore the air separator is still good?

Plan of attack: (1). replace external fuel lines (2). Check and clean injectors (3). Decide to reassemble and see if starts or replace air separator.

I so want this bike to run, but the process of fixing it is pretty fun......if it runs in the end. Thanks all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Finished doing the fuel injector cleaning this evening and they seemed to spray fine. The first spray from each injector wasn't smooth so I'm wondering if they were clogged/stuck. Did this to clean them-
Will install the main return and main fuel line tomorrow. Got very unlucky as somehow from 2 feet above where the injector goes I dropped one of those long screws and it went right into the hole. Had to retrieve it by taking a long knitting needle and using tape to attach a magnet---unlucky moves to lucky quickly.

Would you reinstall the tank and see if it starts or just order the air separator for the tank ($76)?? I couldn't tell from the post whether the bike would still run with a faulty air separator-- might guess is no.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Decided to reinstall the tank to test it. Only 2 pieces in the fuel tank system that weren't replaced were the air separator and the pressure regulator. Rather than chase my tail wondering which part it was if it didn't start, I loaned a fuel pressure tester from Auto Zone. Reinstalled the fuel flange, hooked up the new external fuel lines and fuel pressure gauge........HOLY CRAP, IT STARTED!!!! Fuel pressure is about 46-48 psi. Needs some small adjustment as the rpm is at 1,000 at idle which is making the bike a little unhappy.

RANT: So, Mr Ducati shop owner who lost a part and said it would take over $2k in parts just to repair the fuel tank....not quite. Total parts bill was about $760, which includes $109 to replace the fuel level sensor which you lost/threw out for some unknown reason and refused to acknowledge you did this. And my cost also included new external fuel hoses, timing belts, coolant sensors, spark plugs, and clutch slave cylinder,. Now just a few other items to go- clean the chain, change the coolant, maybe tires, probably will wait on the valve adjustment.

Finally,- thanks for all the advice and wisdom on this forum. I appreciate you answering my questions as I figured out how to be a mechanic and searched the site for knowledge. Can't wait to give it a good shakedown ride soon.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts