Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 ST2 that's been sitting for a long time. It needs all the fuel pump assembly stuff replaced, which is going to be expensive. Is the assembly the same for the ST2 as it is for the ST4? I can't tell since lots of parts are listed as ST2 or ST4. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to replace all those parts or whether to just sell the bike for parts. Everything else is in good shape from overall inspection as it's been garaged and covered.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The dealer is saying that everything in the tank is crap and it’s going to be about $2000+ parts, so I’m assuming it’s everything. There seems to be some used ones, but when I started searching part numbers I’m finding a 160.9.053B and a 160.9.053A. Since the 2000 ST2 lists the part “B” version I’m wondering if the “A” was for a 1998-1999 ST2 and will work. Thoughts?

Edit: just found something that said the• 1998 ST2 had a recall for an anti-vapour lock cup to be attached to the fuel pump. Would this be the difference between “A” and “B”?

·
Premium Member
5,608 Posts
Go with the later one. Can’t go wrong. eBay is your friend, I’d be very suspect of the “everything inside the tank is crap” for $2000. diagnosis. Lines, pump, filter o ring are a safe bet but best to pull it see for yourself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In researching this, I've discovered some interesting things. The ST2 and 748 in those years have the exact same fuel tank set up with the exception that the 748 has a low fuel sensor in the assembly while the ST2 is in another location. The ST2 and ST4 are the same, except the ST4 uses shorter screws in the bottom to eliminate an extra spacer found in the ST2. The ST4 also has a different fuel filter (same # but ends in 1A vs 1B), and unions (but the same as the 748).

Overall, it seems like these units should be interchangeable between an ST2, ST4 and 748.

·
Premium Member
5,608 Posts
If you use an assembly from a 748, you’ll loose your fuel gauge. The 748 fuel semder simply lights a low fuel light. The ST sender has a scaled assembly that provides the full range display. You are far better off sourcing any model ST assembly. Better yet, pull your parts out and have a look at what you actually need to buy and what you can get away with cleaning and reusing.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I think you should sell me your ST2 for parts. Problem solved! :p

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
the actual plate will not need replacing, until it is massively corroded and i've never seen that. as has been said, hoses, pump, filters. pricey, but not that kind of bent over and fucked pricey.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have to go and have the bike towed back home today. It's just not worth spending $2k in parts alone to have the dealer fix it, so I have a DYI project. They said it has spark, so need to fix the fuel system then go from there. I'm not a great mechanic, but have dabbled on cars- breaks, springs, shocks,-- so hopefully I can clean the tank of what was growing in it and then post here for some advice once the fuel pump assembly is also clean. To be continued......

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I have the bike back. I went and dry cleaned the tank, which had this coating of white powder in it, which cleaned up easily by rubbing a paper towel, a soft bristle dryer cleaning brush, and a wheel cleaning brush. I'm assuming this is the fungus the dealer referred too. Will power wash it next, then use a fuel based biocide treatment in the first tank or two. Bell Performance - Bellicide Biocide Treatment | Bell Performance

As far as the fuel assembly, it was covered in the same stuff, but a little more green. I brushed it off. The hoses are definitely crap, so those need to be replaced. In terms of parts, do I just get the hoses from a (different) Ducati dealer?

Next plan is to take the assembly apart and see if the inside needs cleaning (fuel pump filter, etc).

Once I replace the hoses, should I see if the fuel pump works? or just replace it and the fuel filter to start? Pump retail is $270 and I want something I don't have to mess with even a little. Is the Bosch on Amazon referenced above the same thing or does it have a different pressure rating?

Found this fuel pump on Ebay: 1994-2011 Ducati ST2 ST4 748 996 + others 43040041A GENUINE BOSCH bare fuel pump | eBay

Final question: Does the fuel tank level sensor have to be installed to test whether the bike will start? That thing is $500. Found Ebay: 1999-2004 Ducati ST2 ST4 fuel gas tank level sensor 55210032A late style plastic | eBay for $109

Thank you all so much for the help you provide. Without it I wouldn't have the confidence to try this as a DIY project. Today was discouraging paying a high diagnostic fee, but getting the bike back with still junk fuel/crap in the tank, the spark plugs not tightened back in, etc.

before:

After:

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
I bet I can guess what dealer you went to. :confused:
Anyway, that looks fugly! Go to the Stickies at the top of this forum section...there's a post about "equivalent" parts. Look there for the proper fuel line (submersible, high pressure) that's available from NAPA and other parts stores. 1 foot will do...it's about $25 a foot. You may want to consider changing the rest of the fuel lines outside of the tank...that can be regular (i.e.: non-submersible) and the few bucks spent may be money well spent. There's a NAPA equivalent for the fuel filter too. The Bosch fuel pump can be had for about $40...should be in the equivalent parts post too. Another thing to watch is the big o-ring on the pump housing, it's generally a one use item. It's also pretty easy to nick and cut upon reassembly so buy a couple. Again, go to the equivalent parts sticky to get a source for the viton o-ring (rather than pay $10 from Ducati).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took it all apart today. Putting together a complete parts list before I start shopping. Adding fuel pump filter to the list as it was hard and just ripped when pulling it apart.

What is the difference between the fuel lines that connect the fuel filter (both sides) and the ones that come out of the air separator (both sides)? The ones from the fuel filter are thicker rubber. Are they different sizes? Assuming both are submersible. Do I need to use 2 different types of fuel line?

Also, the lines that connect to the breather pipe & overflow totally weren't there (I think they melted). Which type of fuel line gets used here?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In the process of redoing all the internal lines of the fuel tank, I bought a group that included the fuel filter, internal hoses and clamps. The hose that came to connect the fuel filter to the fuel pump is about 1.5" shorter than the line I just took out. This makes a sharper U in the connection-- Is this problematic or not a big deal?
Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Ok, thank you very much.

In the final stages to hopefully get the bike running again and this is the final part. Fingers are crossed it starts, shifts into all gears including neutral, runs without any leaks, bent valves, etc.

Here's the new plumbing all set. Tomorrow for install.

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
Looking good. Grease up the big o-ring to help ease it back in. Also carefully run your finger around the edge of the tank and the flange where the o-ring will come in contact...look for rough or jagged edges that could rip the o-ring.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
So, everything is installed, no leaks......but the bike won't start. The engine turns over, you can hear noise from the gas tank (assuming that's the fuel pump). I put in new fuel filter, fuel pump, all internal hoses, spark plugs, new belts, changed the coolant temp sensors, new battery. When it was at the dealer, the one useful piece of information he gave me was that it did have spark so I'm assuming new plugs and a new battery didn't change that.

I just check the tank when open and when the key turns on there is a spray of fuel that is hitting the top of the tank. I can't see the hose on top of the fuel filter and whether it or the pump gave way. Is there anyway to tell besides pulling the unit out again?

Not sure what to check next, but first thought is to pull external fuel hoses from the tank to see if they have fuel in them. Other starting points or suggestions? Thank you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts